}5{ Anneal

[5:27PM, December 21, UTC ±00:00]

As soon as Olutayo saw the two people at the top of the escalator, he was sure of it. That nagging sensation that he had recognized as paranoia for the past two hours was coming from them. They were also the ones who had frozen everybody in place. Just by looking, he knew they were siblings – even with the different hair colours. He also knew that they were wizards, or warlocks, or whatever they called themselves on this side of the world.

Not that any of it surprised him.

I mean, they’re not the only ones, he thought.

“They’re pretty strong already,” the girl spoke with an excited voice.

 “I’m a little surprised too,” the black-haired brother replied. “They’ve already opened the Channel to some extent. We might as well help them finish it.”

Sarah squeezed Olutayo’s hand and he turned to look at her. She raised an eyebrow and cocked her head ever so slightly. He could sense what she was asking: Do you know what he’s talking about? He furrowed his eyebrows and nudged his head slightly to the left. She narrowed her eyes.

“Non-verbal too?” The girl sounded really excited now. She walked down the escalator steps and stopped in front of them. She smiled widely and extended her hand. Olutayo just eyed it and stayed quiet.

“Hi, I’m Moira,” she said with a smile. “And you have no idea how happy I am to meet you.”

“Why? Who are you sef?” Sarah interjected with a frown.

“Oh, don’t be like that. We’re on the same side, really. I’m here to tell you about this awesome thing called ‘the Hexus’.”

Her brother on the higher floor seemed to roll his eyes and managed to look even more bored. Oliver hadn’t seen such a depressed-looking person since Droopy the Master Detective. He looked down and noticed that Moira’s hand was still extended and so he took it. He never felt comfortable about leaving someone’s hand hanging. He didn’t know why, but some instinct let him know that they weren’t dangerous. He had learned to trust his impressions of people and things. It was one of those things that just came naturally, and most of the time, he wasn’t wrong.

“I like him,” Moira said to her brother. “These two have really come a long way. I mean, they’re not even scared or anything.”

“Why are you talking like you know us?” Sarah quizzed.

“I don’t know who you are,” Moira replied “But I know what you are.”

 Shit, Olutayo thought. We had really done our best to stop anyone from noticing. Did she come to blackmail us? He didn’t see why she would. If she was powerful enough to perform this level of magic then she shouldn’t have any problem with what they could do.

Abi?

“Don’t overthink it and give yourself a headache, dear. Let’s just sit and talk a bit.”