The corpse with a child

It was cold and dark inside of the asylum, and the flashlights that we had been handed by the crew weren't helping much. Sometimes one of them stopped working and we had to stop to make it work again. 

It now started to feel like hours since we had been escorted to the building that was the asylum, but we knew it had only been a few minutes, or we hoped so, because it honestly felt like we're walking in circles.

Thank god we had gotten instructions about this place, if I can say that, "go straight ahead" are even some great instructions about where to go haha, nope.

We had learned quite a lot about the asylum before we entered it, if only getting to know the name of the asylum ("Andrew Lucifer's asylum"), the year it was opened (1666) and the year it was shut down (1966) went under "quite a lot", we in fact had gotten tons of information of the asylum, hadn't we? Yeah, we had. The weird thing was that we hadn't been handed food by the crew, but the luck had been with us because we had brought a little food with us, but we knew it wasn't enough if we were going to stay here long.

I mean, how long can some sandwiches last? Hopefully we weren't staying long, because even this creepy corridor is creeping me out, it feels like someone is watching my every step. 

"It doesn't look like a place that would torture people, to me, to be honest," Vegard said as he investigated the gigantic lobby, that the long, dark, cold, smelly and wet corridor had led to. "It looks quite cozy actuall,y" he added. 

Jesus fucking Christ can someone as smart as Vegard get any dumber? "Hate to break it to you Vegard, but, that's the fucking point" I said, as I also investigated, filming everything with the camera I had gotten (by the crew of course)

"Why? I don't get it. Like, isn't it supposed to be super creepy, to scare the shit out of everyone who entered?" he said. 

Sometimes I seriously worry about him, like right now. I worry a lot about him. "Well if they had done that, they would have been closed in 1756, 90 years after its opening and not in 1966, 300 years later, because of lack of employees and patients," I said with a 'I'm so much smarter than you,' tone.

I picked up a little candle, shaped like an angel, very carefully. It was beautiful, so detailed and so, so beautiful. I felt hypnotized by this beautiful candle.

"How does it have anything to do with patients? Like, I get why employees, I mean I wouldn't want to work here if it didn't look so cozy and homeish" Vegard said.

As he said it my 'hypnotic moment' with the candle broke. I felt like I had just woken up. I dropped the candle and it broke into a million tiny pieces. Oddly enough, I felt better. As if some sort of power had entered me and boosted me up.

"What?" I said and looked at Vegard, I had caught the question, but I couldn't remember what part of his sentences were questions. 

"I said, how does it have anything to do with the patients?"

"Because the families usually visited the place before handing someone to the asylums," I answered. "You know to get to know the doctors and shit." 

"Oh."

Investigating the lobby was fun, it was beautiful, almost too beautiful. "Should we continue our journey?" I asked smiling.

"Sure, what harm can it do?" he answered with a playful tone. That tone reminded me of all the golden moments he and I had shared and I started to feel guilty for having been a dick towards him these last couple of months. 

We headed towards the door that looked like it would lead us to one of the rooms where they would hold people. 

Oh my fucking god, the fucking smell. 

"What the fuck is this?" he said and looked at me horrified. At first, I didn't understand what he meant, because I hadn't given the room a look, only smelled the disgusting smell of something. Something that had been eaten and left to rot. I looked up and what I saw could not be unseen. 

We had walked into the nursing ward. The ward that they had used to deliver children of the women that had gotten pregnant or were handed over during a pregnancy. The room was covered in blood, from roof to floor.

Most of it was dried but some of it, that was on the wall, looked surprisingly new. 

"This is fake blood," I said "right?"

Vegard didn't answer me, he just stood there, starring at something that was lying on one of the bloody beds. "What the hell is that?" he asked. "whatever the fuck it is, I swear it fucking moved!" What did he mean, 'it fucking moved'?

I slowly approached the dark figured thing that was lying on the bed, with Vegard right behind me.

I was finally right in front of the figure. It looked like a corpse. Actually, it was one! And not only one but two corpses. One of a child and one of a mother. It looked like she was trying to protect her newborn daughter, or son, from something. But what would she protect him or her for? I slowly raised my hands to touch her, as if in any second she would jump me. I placed my hands on the arms of the mother corpse as I removed them from the child. 

Just as I did that.

Her eyelids burst open.