The Competition

Lately, I had been very obsessed with abandoned places, especially insane asylums. I had seen photos, old and new, of different asylums and it fascinated me, not in a way that makes me want to do the same thing to people, like that's not legal. 

Most of the asylums have been shut down because the government found out what they really did behind their walls. And today we really just have mental institutions that treat their patients like human beings, unlike the asylums that basically treated their patients like animals. No actually, worse than animals. Most of these asylums shouldn't even be called asylums, torture chambers would be a better name for those. There were, of course, a few asylums who treated their patients good, but these shut down early, because nobody sent their "crazy" family members there. Because back in the day they thought sending them to places with abuse would help them get back on track. Children who were over 16 years old, (who were girls) and were orphans were also sent to asylums and usually were constantly getting raped by the guards and doctors, which leaded to many of them becoming mothers at young ages. (which was common back then because they got married young but having a child outside of a marriage wasn't something you could brag about to other people and wasn't popular at all) And children of these girls were either sent to an orphanage, or stayed in the asylum and got treated just like the other patients.

"Dude, are you STILL looking at creepy pictures?" I heard Vegard say as he seated himself next to me, I had been so lost in my own mind that I hadn't noticed him entering the room. 

"Yes, and they're not creepy!" I answered and continued scrolling down the page.

"Sure, they're not creepy at all, like just look at that photo! I would LOVE to live there." I could hear the sarcasm in his voice but I just ignored him, there was no need to discuss this with him. He doesn't understand how fascinating this truly is. "I bet that if you ever went to one of these places you wouldn't be such a tough guy," he continued.

"I would last in one of those places longer than you would!" I snapped, I didn't mean to snap really, it was just he could CLEARLY see that I was busy studying the pictures on the page. He didn't answer with something sassy, which was great for me because I could just study all of this madness without getting stupid comments thrown at me by my dearest older brother.

It felt like I had been scrolling forever when Vegard broke the silence "If you're so tough as you claim yourself to be, then sign up for that competition." He pointed at the sideboard of the site. They were holding a competition, where you and a friend could win a trip to an:

ABANDONED INSANE ASYLUM THAT NOBODY IN OVER 50 YEARS HAD EVER ENTERED!

I need to win this!

I want to walk around in an abandoned insane asylum with a friend, or should I say... brother.

"I will enter that competition on one condition," I said with a smile. 

"What?" he answered suspiciously.

"You'll have to be the friend I'll bring with me to the asylum if I win."