Chapter III - Nero

<>------<> Nero <>------<>

‘Father, you called?’

I walked straight into the throne room like a belonged there. Which, of course, I did.

Aeras, Arrow, Midnight and Destiny marched in after me, spread in triangle formation. We were all the leaders of the Sorrows, but I was always at the head of group, being the oldest. Although Arrow was technically older than me, she was turned into a tree a long time ago, so I overtook her in age.

‘Yes. I did, my son.’

Our adopted father was a big man, as in heavily built. He had dark, oak skin and deep eyes like melted chocolate. He was strong, kind, fatherly, understanding.

And also the creator of the universe.

Some know him as Chaos; the creator of all, master of everything. My brothers and sisters and I knew him as Dad; a nice, friendly, approachable figure.

He was sitting on his pure silver throne at the end of the room looking troubled. I glanced back at Arrow who shrugged.

I sighed and stepped forward, flipping back my hood revealing messy, raven hair and sea green eyes that had only got darker over the long time I’d been here. I despised my looks as they reminded me of my true father. But Chaos wouldn’t let me dye my hair, wear contacts or anything. I trusted he had a good reason.

‘What is wrong, father?’ I asked.

He sighed, ‘I’m afraid I have yet another mission for you all.’

I grinned back at the others excitedly. Even though they still wore their hoods, I could tell they were all smiling, too. We hadn’t had a mission in so long. Father always relied on the other units, saying he they were more expendable. We understood his hidden message; I don’t want anything to happen to you.

But something was wrong. Father didn’t only look concerned for our safety. He also looked nervous, like he wasn’t telling us something.

‘Father,’ I ventured. ‘Where is this new mission?’

He shifted uncomfortably, ‘I would rather wait until we get there to tell you.’

I heard a rustling sound behind me, and I knew that my siblings had unfolded their wings. Just one of the many perks of being Chaos’ kid; wings.

I’d learnt to trust Father; there was usually a reason behind everything he says. Like the time he told us that we weren’t allowed to go to Apsi in the Nodina galaxy. I’d ended up in impenetrable stocks, being pelted with intergalactic fruit. Since then, I’d learnt to trust his judgment, even if I didn’t like it.

Especially if I didn’t like it.

‘Ok, Father,’ I said.

Father, Arrow, Aeras, Midnight and Destiny let out the breaths I hadn’t known they’d been holding. Then I realized that they thought that I might get mad at Father for not telling me. I didn’t have the calmest temper in the eight galaxies. The last time I’d gotten mad at Father for not letting me do something, I blown up a mountain six times the size of Mt Everest.

But I’d been working on my temper.

I spread my crystal blue wings and lifted a little off the ground before landing and folding my wings again, ‘We’ll get packed right away. When do we depart?’

Father smiled at me in relief, ‘Tomorrow morning.’

‘In which universe is our mission, Father?’ Aeras called from behind me.