Chapter I - Percy

<>------<> Percy <>------<>

‘My Lords and Ladies.’

The five of us bowed respectively before the gods. When we straightened, I glanced down the line at my companions; Thalia and Jason, the children of Zeus/Jupiter and Nico and Hazel, the children of Hades/Pluto.

And then there was me.

My name is Percy Jackson, and I’m the son of Poseidon, god of the Sea. I saved the gods of Olympus twice; once in the second Titan war and once in the second Giant war. We demigods face plenty of wars. Unfortunately.

And it was because of that fact that I was shocked when the gods made their announcement.

I glanced briefly around at the twelve Olympians plus Hestia and Hades who had been made respective council members after the Giant war. But that war had ended months ago. Why had we been summoned now?

‘Demigods,’ Zeus said. ‘You have helped us with our, ahem, problems in past. You have aided as when we were in need and you are all very powerful indeed.’

The five of us smiled and bowed again.

‘Which is why,’ Zeus continued heavily. ‘We cannot allow your existence to continue.’

The king of the gods summoned his master bolt which crackled and snapped, bursting with electricity.

The smile fell from my face and my stomach dropped. My friends and I took a step back.

‘Whoa, whoa,’ Hazel cried, raising her hands defensively. ‘You’re going to kill us? After all we’ve done for you?’

‘You are too powerful,’ Hades growled as he summoned his staff. ‘Together, you have power to overthrow the gods. You must be eliminated.’

Hazel stifled a sob and turned to Nico who hugged her and glared at the gods.

‘So you’d kill us to keep your thrones,’ he screamed over his sister’s shoulder. ‘You’re no better than the Titans or Gaia.’

‘Hold your tongue, son of Hades,’ Poseidon shouted. His trident suddenly formed in his hand. ‘We are securing the safety of Olympus.’

‘By killing your own children?’ I yelled despairingly.

Poseidon turned towards me, a fire in his eyes that I’d never seen before. His expression wavered for a moment before becoming hard as stone once more.

‘Yes,’ Poseidon said calmly. ‘It is for the good of our home.’

‘After all we’ve done for you,’ Thalia snapped. ‘You would simply kill us for being powerful?’

‘That’s not fair!’ Jason shouted, his voice trembling.

‘We cannot allow our children to become more powerful than us,’ Zeus thundered.

‘Uncles, please.’

Surprisingly, it was Athena who stood up for us. She rose from her throne, eyeing us with distrust but sympathy.

‘These heroes are loyal to Olympus,’ she said. ‘We have no reason to believe that they would ever turn against us.’

‘Stay out of this, Athena,’ Zeus turned his glare on her. ‘This does not concern you or the others.’

‘But it does concern us,’ Hermes interrupted, rising from his throne. ‘They are our children’s friends and the heroes of their generation.’