Riding a Nightmare

So this was made for a competition I had and we had to base it on the picture on the side! It may seem a bit raggedy and confusing, but you know what? It was a bit difficult trying to fit it into 1500 words!

:vote, comment, follow:

copyrιɢнт © 2014 Fαιтн Howeɴ (@тeαтιмe_)

I stood waiting, waiting patiently outside of my parent’s bungalow, waiting for the love of my life. I peered back at my house and remorse flooded through me reminding me of what I did and didn’t have any longer. Our house had filled with grief when mother had died. She left me and my father in sadness and I could tell it wore Father down more than it did me.  After mother was gone, she had left father and me a huge sum of money, for her family was prosperous in the clothing business. Even with the money father didn’t spoil himself. He was never the same after mother died and he grew weaker with each day. I could see it. Slept more often, ate less and I caught him whispering to himself more now and then.

 I took a deep breath and stared down at my feet. Soon Anthony would be here and my long awaited visit to the Carnival would be fulfilled. I fluttered with sudden happiness and a smile spread across my face. Going to the carnival was one thing I had wanted to do for a while and after dropping one hint after another Anthony finally concluded to take me. I giggled with excitement as I remember what Anthony said about today’s trip.

‘I planned something special for the carnival, love’, he said. How his voice had the slightest hint of mischief in it had me pouring out question after question of what was going to be so special. Of course he never answered. I look out onto the road when a jet black Willis Coupe Street Rod pulled up next to my shivering form. A slender figure came out of the driver’s seat and slammed shut the door. Wearing a white long sleeve button down shirt with a black and white striped vest complete with a silk tie and straight pants, Anthony never looked so good. I faced him placing my hands on his strong shoulders.

 “Hey! I was just thinking of what may be so special today!” I said with a touch of annoyance. He laughed and I joined him smiling so widely my face hurt. He wrapped his hands around me and led me to the car.

 “You will soon see, my Rosemary.”

 ~***~

 The Carnival was all I could imagine it to be. Through all of the colourful lights I could see so many beaming faces and so many other joyous couples. We stepped up in front of the most magnificent Ferris wheel I have ever seen. It was operated by a gray haired middle aged man with the face of a scowling pit-bull. Anthony and I just stood frozen in time gazing upon the wheel with the moon set perfectly above it.

The dark grey cloudless sky with its many shining stars completed the scene.  It was a breathtaking sight. I was overwhelmed with so much emotion that I surprised Anthony. I turned suddenly on the very balls of my feet to face him and eagerly planted a tender kiss on his lips. He was stunned for a bit then instead of kissing me back like I expected, he shrouded me with his strong arms and pulled me into his grasp. I could smell the familiar cologne with just a hint of rosemary. He always wore the herb in honour of my name and I loved him even more for it.

 “How about we hop on the Ferris wheel? Maybe, I could even reveal the surprise! But, I’m not sure…” he teased with a knowing smile. I playfully slapped his hand. He was being so obnoxious!

 “No. No more waiting. You have kept me waiting long enough!” I exclaimed giving him an ‘enough already’ look.

 “Okay, okay. I’m starting to get hungry so I’ll grab some food and you get on for a few rounds. Here, I see nobody waiting to get on, let me talk to this guy.” Anthony strutted over to the dog faced man and spoke in a low voice. After a few minutes Anthony handed the man something I couldn’t clearly see so I slowly walked over for a closer look, but by the time I was there they were finished speaking.

 ”Ok, love! I’ll be right back!” he said, making his way to the nearest popcorn stand before I could stop him. I stood there awkwardly, shifting my feet side to side. A gruff voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

 “Are you going to get on or not?” he said in a slurred mumble.

Anthony had said get on for a bit while I wait, so what’s the harm? I shrugged and ascended onto the closest gondola, sitting onto its ice cold metal bench. I winced as it touched my bare skin. No one else was around so the machine started and I jerked forward. As I reached the top I savoured every moment even if it were only for a few minutes. It brought me adjacent to the gray but beautiful moon.

This time the ride jerked again, but harder, with more force. The ride had stopped and I was stumped at the highest point. I sat for a couple of minutes expecting the gondola to move any second. It became too long so I looked down and around for that groggy man but he wasn’t there and neither was anybody else. Suddenly, a bitter wind blew. I looked farther to my left and saw crowds of people hovering near other rides but nowhere near where I was. It would be no use calling out. I realized that I was starting to panic as my breath came in short pants. I looked everywhere. Up, right, left and down again. Down. Then there he was, a slender figure leaning his broad back against a tree facing the Ferris wheel. He wore a wide smirk across his face and the way his eyes glistened felt familiar. I gasped.

 “Anthony?” I said tentatively. Then panic mode set in.

 "Anthony! Help me down! I’m stuck!” I shouted nervously. I wasn’t sure why I felt a sudden unease.

 “No.” he replied bluntly. The wind was knocked out of me and I stared horrified at my, was boyfriend. I tried shaking off the feeling with a nervous laugh.

 “Wait, what? Anthony! Stop playing and get me down now!”

 “Rose, love, darling!” he exclaimed with the slightest iciness to his voice. “I will reveal my surprise! This was planned, you know!  Now, I will ask for your hand in marriage and you will agree. In the next five minutes, your father will die under mysterious circumstances and the rest of his money will fall right onto your shoulders won’t it?” he said with a cruel triumphant smile plastered on his face.

That is when it dawned on me. Anthony picked me back up after mother died, not because he coincidently found me and wanted to help but because he found the opportunity to do it so that he gained my wealth. I gasped. That sick, inhumane man I thought to myself.

 “What if I don’t accept?” I shouted thinking this was my loophole out. He chuckled brutally.

 “Well, then. You will have a fun time sitting up there, now won’t you?” I felt as though I was punched right through the heart and when the blow left me, it took a piece of me with it leaving me to crumble down. I made the decision to stay up there and wait for someone to find me other than him. Hours passed and I realized I had no jacket and I wore a dangerously thin blouse.

Tears spilled out of my hurting eyes and I surrendered. I couldn’t handle the looming cold any longer, the way it chilled me to the bone, close to hypothermia. I was defeated so I screamed to the sky to let me down and when the gondola hit solid ground again, Anthony grabbed me in his arms. I was in his warmth when he took my left hand and placed the deceiving gold ring on my cool finger.

 ~***~

 I wake shivering, cold sweat dripping off of my forehead when I figure out where I am. The sheets of where I lay on my bed are scrunched up all over the place and there are piles of clothes strewn all over the floor. The room is dim and my eyes adjust, focusing on a man laying asleep, his legs splayed on an arm chair. His shirt is unbuttoned and his tie is undone as well as his hair messy. I am shocked at why a man is in my room like this, when reality hits me hard in the chest. I collapse near my bed stand and break into sobs. It’s been three years since I married Anthony, three years of him throwing away all of my inheritance with drinking and gambling, three years of me living, no, riding on a never ending nightmare.