Chapter 8

Stefan opened his eyes to blaring sunlight, squinting. He pulled his curtains shut, hiding the sun, and quickly dressed. Still groggy, he raced downstairs, his mind confidently made up. His mother looked up as he raced past the kitchen, and watched him as he put on his shoes.

“Where are you going?” she asking him kindly, looking mildly concerned. A lie bubbled easily to Stefan’s lips.

“Just meeting some friends,” he said reassuringly. She smiled with relief, pleased to see him get out of the house. He finished tying up his shoes, stuffed his phone into his pocket, grabbed his jacket, and ran outside. He pulled out the paper still folded neatly in the pocket of his coat. He read the address quickly. Luckily, it wasn’t that far from his neighborhood. He climbed on his bike and rode off, letting the breeze and the morning sun wake him up fully.

The address led him to a quaint white house, with blue trim. It was small, with a well-kept garden and a worn mat in front of the door, which said in fading letters welcome. Stefan walked up nervously to the door, and tapped the doorbell with his finger. A soft chiming filled the house, and he heard someone moving inside. The door was thrown open, and there stood Darcie, looking tired and dishevelled. She was wearing holey sweatpants and a shirt advertising some band. There were dark circles under her eyes, and she looked rather pale. She gave him a weak smile.

“I’m surprised you came,” she said quietly. He grinned back at her.

“Well, clearly you don’t know me very well,” he teased. She stepped back to let him inside, but a loud buzzing from his pocket stopped him. He pulled out his phone, and saw to his regret, a text from Katherine.

Hey babe. Want 2 hang? ;)

He sighed and began tapping a quick reply. He could feel Darcie’s eyes on him.

“Who are you texting?” She asked, trying to peer over his shoulder.

“Katherine,” he muttered grudgingly. He heard Darcie snort, and glanced up. She wore a disbelieving expression, but behind it was anger.

“Are you serious? you’re still talking to her?” She asked him harshly. He bit his lip, uncomfortable.

“I…well…” he said slowly. Darcie’s voice hardened.

“Even after you know what she did?” Darcie took a step forward, suddenly looking threatening. “Even after she hurt your best friend?” She glared at him and saw the answer in his eyes. She took a disgusted step back. “Why don’t you go meet up with Kitty?” Darcie spat “Clearly she matters more to you than Maya ever did.” She turned, and slammed the door in his face. He was left standing on her doorstep, confused and frustrated. Not knowing what else to do, he finished typing back a reply.

Sure. Where? He asked Katherine. Her reply came quickly.

 How about that little diner across from your school?  He smiled. Lots of kids from both of their schools went there to hang out.

All right. Be there in 10. He snapped his phone shut, slipped it back into his pocket, and walked back towards his bike. Hopping on, he turned back and gave a regretful glance towards Darcie’s house, before turning away and pedaling off. He rode through the streets, considering what to do. But as he pulled up to the diner, locking his bike to a pole, he still didn’t have an answer.

Katherine, along with some more of their friends, was sitting on stools by the counter. He walked up, kissed her on the cheek, and joined their conversation.  Eventually, he started talking with some of his friends about sports, While Katherine and some other girls were off to side gossiping. Thinking of Darcie, he listened into their conversation.