Chapter 5

“How the hell did you know about the letter?” Stefan asked Darcie,  shocked. She rolled her eyes.

 “She told me about it. Now, how much did it explain?” She asked him.

“Um… so… you know… about… that?” He asked nervously, unsure of how much he was allowed to give away.

“About the suicide? Yes. Did the letter explain why?” she questioned him further.

“No. wait, you know why?” he gasped, getting excited. Darcie gave him a wry smile.

“Yes. I was with her, when it first happened. She explained everything to me that afternoon.”  She told him, looking thoughtful.

“When what happened?!” He was almost yelling now, his voice raised in excitement. “Wait a sec...” he said quietly, putting the pieces together. Darcie gave him a curious look. “She spoke to you before she killed herself. You knew she was going to kill herself, and you didn’t say anything?!?” he was yelling now, his voice echoing through the empty field. Darcie looked away.

 “It wasn’t my secret to tell,” She whispered. Stefan didn’t by it.

“She was planning to kill herself! What part of that didn’t you get?” He took a step forward.

“I wasn’t sure If she was kidding or not and didn’t know what to do!” Darcie’s voice was louder, and sharper. It had a hard edge to it. Regret. “It was the first time I heard her say that. I convinced myself that I’d just call her in the morning… that she’d have calmed down by then.  But it was too late.” She glared at him. “Trust me, Stefan, this isn’t my fault.”

“Is it mine then?” he said quietly. She bit her lip.

“Only partially.” She said, He flinched. “There’s so much you don’t know…” She trailed off, running a hand through her hair and leaning back against the wall.

“How?” he asked her, voice hard. “How the hell is it my fault? I never tried to do anything to her!” he said desperately.

“Well it starts with your bitch of a girlfriend.” Muttered Darcie.

“What?” asked Stefan, confused. “What does Kitty have to do with anything?” Darcie snorted, and glanced at him.

Kitty,” She made quotation marks with her fingers “Is part of the reason that our dear friend Maya wanted to kill herself.” She paused, staring at Stefan’s blank look of confusion. “She really never told you? You never knew?” She asked, sounding amazed.

“Knew what?” asked Stefan, exasperated.

“That your girlfriend is a bullying bitch that hated Maya and still hates me.” Darcie spat. Stefan paused, shocked.

“What?” he whispered.

“She used to taunt Maya and me all the time. She hated our guts. And then, this year…” Darcie trailed off, a look of hatred on her face.

“Why? Why did she hate you?” Stefan asked, still not quite sure he believed what she was saying.

“I don’t know. Maya never did anything to her, and I only started biting back at her after she started to hate on us. But I think it’s pretty obvious. Your dear darling Kitty was jealous.”  She said, rolling her eyes.

“Jealous… of you?” Said Stefan. Darcie sighed with agitation.

“No, you idiot. Jealous of Maya.”

“WHY?” he asked, frustrated.

“Maya was friends with you since you were babies you and Maya spent time together whenever you possibly could. Katherine was worried that she would lose you to Maya.” Darcie explained.