Chapter Thirty-Eight

Rayne had been asleep for most of the day. He slept so much that Priscella got bored of staring at the walls and left about an hour ago. No one forced her to stay after we dragged all the furniture inside the apartment, she just wanted to make sure he was okay. But he didn't wake, so it was her time to go.

               Now I waited in the living room, sitting in front of a freshly new ordered box of pizza. I couldn't even eat because I felt so bad about us both. I hated the feeling that Rayne didn't care about me, but I also hated the feeling when he was upset.

               I understood, how depression or the loss of someone important to your life could affect your mood, but never had I imagined it could go so far as to start ignoring your other loved ones. Maybe I was being selfish, I was always the stubborn type, wanting everyone's attention, but this was Rayne I was talking about. I cared and loved him so deeply so if for one minute he acted like he didn't love me, so God help me I will get butt hurt about it.

               At least I was in a good mental state where I knew from right and wrong, and what I knew was that I needed to give Rayne my full support and love during his episode, even if it hurt me. Though, I still need to give him the talk because no way will I let his moods make him cheat on me with freaking models he starts working with.

               I wasn't kidding when I told him he gave Aaron the look he gave me when we first started dating. It was that deep, flirty stare that sent chills down my spine. He was such a shy guy, but he was also very evil. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

               I heard the bedroom door creak, and out came a sleepy Rayne. He rubbed his eyes, blinking at the bright kitchen lights.

               "What time is it?" he asked in a deep, throaty voice.

               "Just turned ten."

               He looked surprised. "Wow, I slept that long?"

               I nodded. "Come eat." I motioned at the unopened box in front of me.

               He dragged his sleepy body over to the couch and sat right next to me, his head resting on my shoulder.

               "Thanks for helping with the furniture," he said, taking a bite of his pizza.

               "Thanks for calling," I replied rather dramatic.

               He sighed. "I'm sorry. I just didn't want you to find out yet. I just needed time alone."

               I gave him the eye. "Time alone? You've been spending your time not alone, Rayne."

               "I know. It helped to be around people I didn't know. That's why I hung out with Aaron. You don't need to worry about it."

               I felt offended that he would suggest I not worry about his emotional being.

               "Rayne, don't you ever ask me not to worry, got it? I will worry about you, I will protect you, I will care about you. So next time you feel like this, don't leave me out of it because I swear to God I will kick your ass."

               "I'm sorry," he repeated, looking upset. "I've just never been in a real relationship and I don't know what to do."

               I glared at him, a very threatening glare. "You're kidding, right? Just because you haven't been in a relationship doesn't mean you don't know anything. I'm pretty sure you know. Experience is nothing in a relationship. Because no matter how many times you are in one, it will always be a new start each single time. It's like falling in love all over again. So if you think that you don't know how to be in a relationship then none of us do. You just follow your heart and try not to hide things from me."