Chapter 1

Evangeline 

My eyes fluttered open as the first ray of light hit my face through the small, round window, my only source of light in my attic room. I lay for a second in silence knowing that it would be quickly interrupted. 3...2...1..."Wake up you filthy mutt and make yourself useful for once! I want breakfast to be ready and served immediately. The whole pack is waiting for you. I cannot believe we did not get rid of you when we had the chance a long time ago, you are purely a waste of space in this pack and nothing else." A loud voice that I knew all too well growled out from downstairs.

I groaned silently into my pillow and slowly rose from my worn-out mattress. I felt my body ache and my bones pop as they attempted to release the knots that formed throughout the night. I glanced over at the only way in and out of my prison and suddenly it swung open. I jumped back in fright, and instantly froze and braced myself as I met the eyes of the Beta. "What are you doing just standing there? Make yourself useful mutt, where is our breakfast?" He growled menacingly. I winced at the harsh tone in his voice and slowly made my way to the sink in hopes of at least being able to wipe the sleep out of my eyes. I kept my eyes on the ground, purposely avoiding eye contact with my older brother, Alec.

His rough hand suddenly jerked out making me squeak in surprise. He roughly grabbed my wrist making me whimper at the tightness of his grip. Alec pulled me back violently before I could reach the sink. Another whimper involuntarily escaped my lips as I felt his grip tighten. "I did not hear a yes sir you disrespectful mutt. How dare you treat your Beta this way. Learn some respect or else." I bit my lips and stuttered out a meek "Yes sir." Alec's grip only tightened and through gritted teeth, he growled out, "Speak up you incompetent idiot." I repeated "Yes sir.", this time louder. He finally let go of my wrist, "If breakfast is not ready by eight, I will make you regret everything." I sighed in relief as I watched him exit my small living space. 

"Understood," I whispered, rubbing my sore wrist. I looked down to see bruises form where his hand was tightly wrapped around. Another bruise for the collection."Evangeline, I am so sorry. I am a failure as your wolf, I wish I could do more for you."  My wolf, Winter whimpered. I could sense the fatigue and weakness in her voice. I can not remember when was the last time we had a proper meal. They fed me enough just so that I did not die, merely scraps and pieces of leftover food that they did not want or were too rotten for them to eat. The lack of nutrition made both my wolf and I extremely weak and undernourished. It affected especially Winter as she was the beasty side of me. Without food, she is powerless, unable to heal us, or fight. "I understand Winter...It's okay, I can take the pain. You need to rest as much as possible and regain energy. I'll try to get food into our system soon." I told her, trying desperately to sound confident.

I had planned to run away from this pack one day, even if that meant that I was going to become a rogue. I wanted to set out to find my mate and find my happily ever after. Therefore, I needed Winter to be in the best shape possible. I was willing to spare her from all the pain that comes from the abuse and beatings and give her all of my strength. It was a sacrifice I was full-on willing to make, it's our only chance and hope of escaping."Hopefully, that day will come soon Evangeline. We will finally be able to live well and freely. Maybe share this life with a mate if we find him. Oh, Evangeline, he will enter our life and be a beacon of light in our dark world."  Winter expressed with a tint of unbridled and pure happiness in her tone. Mate, that one word alone made me feel giddy. When a werewolf turns sixteen, they will be able to find their mate by their scent. When I was little, before tucking me away for the night, my mom would always tell me the story of how she met my dad, her eyes always sparkled with happiness whenever she did. I hope I will find a mate that will love me and treat me right. An escape and a new beginning.