Chicago Bound

Four

Madeleine

It wasn't until I merged the car onto I-65 that I finally felt the rush of what I had been missing: freedom. With the windows down and my father's icy wrath behind me, I felt invincible. I could expand my legacies and take on the Mogadorian army alone tomorrow. There was no power in the entire universe that could put a damper on my happiness. I was gone. No longer was I Madeleine Paisley, meek and timid. I was now Madeleine Paisley, bold and bitchy to those who crossed me.

"You're driving like a maniac," Nine said from the passenger seat, but I could practically hear the smile on his face.

"I'm just trying to make up for lost time," I said with a grin. My red hair blew around wildly, hitting the roof, my face, and probably John behind me. The driver's window began to roll up, and I felt the gas pedal press against my foot. The car slowed down to around 65 mph, and the green CRUISE light lit up the dash. I pouted slightly.

"I hate to be that guy," John said behind me, "but everyone else in this car is wanted fugitives. Unless, of course, you want us all to be gunned down in the middle of Atlanta, you should probably keep it under the speed limit."

I rolled my eyes by nodded in defeat. He was right, of course. I did need to try to not rouse suspicion. Unfortunately, as of late, I seemed to be unable to do that.

I glanced up in the rear view mirror. Ella leaned against her door, her eyes shut and arms folded. John glanced over at her worriedly before looking up at me with a tight tired smile. His blue eyes flicked over to Nine briefly. I wondered if they were sharing a telepathic conversation together. Had I not passed that level of clearance? Oh well. I could care less. These guys had saved me. If they wanted to share secrets, let them. I was just appreciative to be along for the journey.

I looked quickly over at Nine, who was punching different buttons on the radio. Random genres bellowed from the speakers, ranging from rap, rock, and gospel, when John hit the power button with his telekinesis.

"Dude-"

"Ella's had a long day," John answered with a calm voice, but I noticed the tightness of his jaw when he said it. "Let her rest." Nine scowled but didn't object. He looked over at her for a moment before turning back around in his seat. That dark shadow that plagued his face earlier was back again.

I kept the car cruising north for about an hour. I knew - sort of - where I was going: Chicago. I knew they were famous for wind and hot dogs, but I didn't know exactly how to get there. Ella and John had fallen asleep in the back. Occasionally, the young girl would slightly stir fitfully in her sleep. Nine reached back there a few times and took her hand until she stopped, but she never woke up. He would then let go of her hand and turn around as if nothing ever happened.

At some point during our trip, I caught him staring over at me.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm pretty sure you're supposed to say 'May I help you?'"

"I'm pretty sure it's impolite to stare."

"Why didn't you run away sooner?" he bluntly asked with absolutely no shame.

"I, um... I did." I shifted uncomfortably. Please drop this conversation, Nine...

No suck luck. "When?"

"Last summer. I ran away to a friend's house. His parents called my mom, and she came and got me."

He nodded, still staring. I shrugged my shoulders. "It helped out a little. They began to check up on me. They were the ones who reported to the school the terrible environment I was placed in."