Chapter 2

"Oh", was the only thing I could force out of my trembling lips. His glare only hardened at the sound of my voice. I felt incredibly insecure, as his eyes remained on me. Although his stare was frightening, I could not remove my eyes from his. They were a beautiful blue and I felt compelled by their iciness.

"Well, introduce yourself Declan! Do not be rude to our guest!" His mother, Queen Nadine pestered. He walked forward and bowed in front of me. His large hand enclosed my small one, as he placed a small kiss upon it. His lips felt soft and warm. Instantly, my heart fluttered and my cheeks began to burn. But all too quickly, he lifted his head up and his resentful gaze found my eyes once more. 

"Prince Declan. Future king of Ireland and husband of yours, by force." The last two words rolled off his tongue scornfully. I felt my eyes begin to tear. I quickly pulled my hand away from his and turned my gaze towards the marbled floor. I felt my father's hand rest on my shoulder, but I did not dare look up. 

"Young man, you are being very disrespectful to our guests." Queen Nadine scolded. He did not respond and instead began to walk away. "I am so sorry." She quickly apologized to us, as she followed him out the doors. 

"Very sorry." King Seamus added. "He is usually not this rude." 

"It is quite alright." My father responded. I remained quiet.

"My guards will show you to your quarters. I will see you both at dinner." He smiled at us before we followed the guards out the large oak doorway.

"I am so sorry, Genevieve." My father whispered as soon as the doors shut behind us. His hand found mine as we continued down the hall. "We are asking so much of you. Asking you to marry a boy that is just not ready." His lips curled into a frown. "For any of this."

"It is alright, Papa. I know I must do this. I vowed to do this. Do not fret since it is now my choice." I squeezed his hand slightly and a small smile formed on his lips. "And I shall do this."

"When did my petite fille become a woman?" He kissed my cheek softly. "I am so proud of you." He whispered, before he left to follow the guard to his room. I opened the door and entered my own chambers. The room was much larger than my old one in France. The bed was decorated with the finest of linens, feeling soft under my touch. The walls were occupied with beautiful paintings and tapestries. And my wardrobe contained all of my dresses I had brought and even a few new ones. I could not help, but smile at the hospitality the Irish possessed. I felt very welcomed by all of them. All, but one.

Prince Declan both worried and intrigued me. His icy blue eyes were permanently imprinted in my mind. His ferocious and bold attitude was so unlike any royal I had met. And even stranger, he was the eldest born, the heir to the throne, the future king of Ireland. Yet he was bitter and unwilling to become so. Very unlike myself, which was most likely the reason I found him so interesting.

I soon decided to remove my thoughts from him and focus on the fast approaching dinner. I searched through my wardrobe thoroughly, carefully analyzing all of my new gowns before finally deciding on a dark blue one. The color reminded me of the young girl, Princess Nora's eyes. So beautiful, unlike my own brown ones. And her hair, blonde and wild, was so unique compared to my pin-straight brown hair. Princess Nora and her entire family were more beautiful than I could ever imagine. More than I could ever hope to be.

Would I ever possibly fit in with their family? Fit in amongst their beauty? Was I not right to play a part in the Irish court? To be Queen? Was I not enough for Prince Declan? Was that the reason he did not acknowledge me? Did he not think I was beautiful enough for him? Or worse, did he already find someone more beautiful?

A knock at my door removed me from my thoughts. I flattened out my gown before preceding to answer. "Come in." I watched as my father entered the room, dressed in his formal wear. He smiled and picked up my crown resting on the bedside table.