Chapter 3

"Genevieve." A seemingly far off voice called out.

"Genevieve, open up your eyes sweetheart." The soothing voice spoke again.

"Genevieve, you are making a fool of yourself. Get up!" Another voice bitterly jabbed. My eyes shot open.

"Thank the heavens, you are awake! We were so worried." Queen Nadine breathed out. I looked around the room to see the whole Irish court in my chambers. By my bedside was my father and mother. Instantly I remembered the news of Jerome. A few tears rolled down onto my cheeks. I felt a tug on my arm and looked over to see Ronan's bright blue eyes. He did not speak, just exchanged a look with me. It was supposed to be sincere, but it only made me cry harder. The thought of my baby brother slowly dying was too much. I had raised him due to the absence of my mother. He had become my best friend at home. He was my everything in every sense. We had a strong connection due to the fact that we were both seen as worthless in our mother's eyes. We would never rule France as long as our brother Philippe was still well, thereby giving us no purpose. We were nothing to her, which is why I now realize I should have never left. I should have never left him with her. Tears kept rolling down my cheeks until my vision blurred. Everyone in the room was silent, except for my mother telling me to shut up. But I did not stop, which only angered her more. A few moments later I felt my cheek sting and swell instantly, but I did not dare move. I closed my eyes and let the last of my tears wash down my face. The room was silent until my father finally spoke.

"Get out." He said in barely a whisper. I heard my mother stand up and slam the door on her way out. "Are you alright, my petite fille?" I did not open my eyes, only nodded. "I am sorry." He gently grasped my hand and then got up and walked out the door.

"Genevieve?" I finally opened my eyes to see Queen Nadine sitting on the side of my bed, gently pushing my hair off my face. Her eyes seemed saddened. "Are you alright, my dear?" I nodded. She looked at the side of my face, which I imagined was probably quite red. "Does this happen a lot?" I nodded again. Her eyes fell to her lap. "Your mother will be going home tomorrow and I promise I will not let it happen again." She gave my hand a squeeze. "Now get some rest." I closed my eyes and heard the door shut gently. Finally I allowed myself to touch my cheek. It instantly stung and I let out a small sigh of pain.

"She is a real meater." A voice spoke. I gasped slightly and looked around the room. Declan appeared from behind my closet door. He walked over and sat in the chair near my bedside. "Sorry to startle you."

"It-it is alright." I choked out. His eyes scanned my face.

"Is it painful?"

"Not terribly."

"You cannot fool me. That was the hardest hit I have ever witnessed."

"She has done a lot worse." I muttered.

"What did you just say?"

"Nothing."

"She has done worse than that?" I shrugged. "Do not act as though she is not cruel. No one, let alone a mother, should lay a hand on you."

"Yes, I know. Thou shall not harm royalty." I quoted.

"No. One should never harm one who does not deserve it." My eyes found his and he stared right back. His face turned solemn. "I am sorry about your brother." I did not speak. "Younger siblings are the only pleasant aspect of this life." 

"You are close with yours?" I asked quite surprised, as I had yet to see any interaction between him and his siblings.

"I once was." He walked over to the window and looked down at the guardsmen and frowned.

"What changed?"

"I grew, as did my responsibilities." He sighed. "You lose your innocence far too quickly in our world." He grimaced. "I did not want them to lose theirs." His eyes looked back towards me. "I see you have not lost yours yet."

"I-I do not know what you mean. If you are questioning my virtue, I-I can assure you that-" 

"No, I do not care of your virtue." He scoffed. "I am talking about your innocence; the child-like spirit you possess." My gaze found my way back to him. "However, I do find it intriguing that you are still innocent in the other sense."

"Why? I was always meant to be married off. I had to stay innocent until marriage or I would never be taken."

"They would never know of it. Besides, I thought that a girl like you would be bombarded with suitors." I blushed, but his gaze remained stern.

"Not many." 

"Why is that?"

"I do not know."

"You are a curious one, Genevieve." He smiled. "I will leave you to rest. I will see you tomorrow, then?" 

I nodded. He smiled and walked out the door.