Chapter 5

(Clove's POV)

Today is reaping day. My mom has dressed me in a red dress with a little fabric flower sewn onto one shoulder. My hair has been braided into a fishtail braid that falls down my back. My brother teases me, saying that I'm to pretty to be reaped. But I can tell that there is a nervousness in his eyes, that he might lose me. So when we go into the square, I give his hand a reassuring squeeze and walk over to where the 12 year olds are. I can see Cato as well. He seems quite nervous as well, and he keeps looking at me. I can't help looking at him either. After yesterday, I felt like I had butterflies. It was almost like I was crushing on him.

The unmistakable escort, Effie Trinket, steps up onto the stage. Today, she is wearing a green wig with flowers threaded in probably to try and make it look like a flower bed. It failed miserably. She has ridiculously high heels and a lime green poofy dress.

"Welcome, welcome all!" she exclaims. "This is District 2's Reaping of the tributes for the rest 69th Annual Hunger Games! As usual, ladies first."

Her hand reaches into the big glass bowl filled with names. Mine is in there somewhere. She pulls one out, over exaggerating the drama just a tad, and opens the slip of paper. I hold my breath.

"Domitia Overwhill!" she says.

I release my breath. It is a fairly tall girl, with medium length blond hair and blue eyes. She seems quite startled, but she bravely walks up onto the stage. I think she is good with a bow and arrow.

"And now, for the men!" Effie chirps. She reaches into the men's one. Please don't let it be Cato, please please please.

She reads out the name, and a surge of guilt, fear, and anger rushes through me.

It's Thomas Kentwell.