Chapter #10: Dad

"Gonna warn you ahead of time... My dad's a bit... Ehhhhh, you'll see," he warned before he opened the door.

"Hey, Buddy!" I hear someone yell, and then he ran and rubbed Ryan's head.

"Hey, Dad!" The smile on his face was adorable. The child in him, I guess.

The man's head turned toward me, who was gazing dumbly at his son. "Who's this? Your girlfriend?"

That made me snap out of the trace I was in. "No, no, Sir!" I cleared my throat before calmly continuing with an extended hands. "I'm Jessica. Jessica Laylee... His tutor... Nice to meet you, Sir." I forced an awkward smile as he stared at my hand, until he finally shook it.

He took me aback as he began laughing his insides out. "You have a tutor? C'mon, Ry! You're too cool for that!"

Ryan sighed took my hand to lead me to his room, throwing his bag onto the bed, then himself. "Sorry 'bout that. I tried to warn ya."

"It's fine... Just be grateful for him. That's all I have to say." I sat down on his floor, laying out school supplies.

"I know... I really do love him, though. He just gets a little excited sometimes," he chuckled.

I smiled sadly at the wall with small giggle. "Just like my dad."

Apparently, this caught his attention. He cocked his head and looked at me. "Something wrong?"

"Huh? No. It's nothing."

"Really? You sure?"

I shook my head in frustration. "I'm fine. Can we study, now?"

He got out of his bed and sat cross-legged on the floor next to me. I've never seen this look on his face... Genuine concern? "Not until you tell me what's wrong."

"It's nothing, I swear," fear was evident in my voice. I'm not telling him about my personal life! No way!

"...You can talk to me when you have troubles. Remember that." He opened a textbook, and we began to work.