Part Five

Sock was being very secretive on the last day of summer vacation. He wasn't home and when he did he returned really late. Sock collapsed on his bed falling asleep instantly. Jonathan was worried, sure, but he was also very suspicious of what Sock did all day. Especially if it was Joane related.

He still couldn't wrap around his mind the fact that Sock would trust Joane again. But Sock seemed too naïve for his own good sometimes. Getting up quietly, Jonathan grabbed the envelope he saw Sock try to hide in his backpack earlier. Something told him that his roommate didn't want anyone to discover it.

Careful not to make a sound as he opened the pack, knowing he was invading Sock's privacy Jonathan snatched the letter. Going back to bed, he slowly opened the envelope without making much noise to see what this was all about. What he found was very surprising.

You have got to be kidding me. Jonathan didn't think he could be more surprise at the teen just above him. This really takes the cake.

In his hands he was holding a money order for six hundred dollars. AND it was made off to Joane.

"Un—fucking—believable," Jonathan whispered in disbelief. Sock was giving her money after everything. Jonathan leaned out a bit to stare at the sleeping teen. In sleep Sock looked peaceful and very, very young for his age. His hair all over the place and some of the worry lines he had on all day relaxing.

Shaking his head, Jonathan folded the check and slipped it into one of his drawers. Grabbing a piece of paper that he cut to be the shape of the check he wrote: It's not gonna happen. Get the money somewhere else. And because he couldn't help it he added: bitch.

Putting the note back into the envelope he sealed it and placed it back into Sock's backpack. Have Joane find another way to get the money. He thought as he got back into bed and slept like a baby.

~*~

By lunch time everyone was gossiping about something. Sock glanced around feeling like all eyes were on him. I'm being paranoid, Sock told himself. He did everything Joane asked. He gave her the money if she promised to keep quiet.

Joane needed it for a trip abroad and Sock thought it would be good that she'll be far away and keep quiet about what she knew. She wouldn't have gone back on her word so he was being irrational. But he felt unease... they weren't whispering about them were they?

"Sock what is it?" Jonathan asked seeing Sock fidgeting in his seat.

"Jonathan, do you think they're whispering about... uh—never mind it's stupid." Sock shook his head trying to shake it off.

Taking another bite from his sandwich Jonathan looked up causing the whispering teens in the cafeteria to turn around and pretend to be in another discussion. "I don't see what you're talking about."

Sock chest tighten the dreaded sinking lower. She didn't... did she? He watched as they resumed chatting until they felt safe to glance over and gossip more. No... she did.

The green eyed teen looked around seeing the gossip go from table to table eyes not discreetly directed at their table. Sneaking a peek, Jonathan seemed unfazed by this. He didn't know or cared that the gossip was about them. And then a vaguely familiar blonde walked to their table as Sock's stomach fell, "Hey, Lil wanted me to give you this," she said.

Glancing up from his sandwich Jonathan saw Jenna, Lil's friend, with a letter stretched out to him. Grabbing it he placed it on the table. "Okay, thanks Jenna."

"She..." Jenna stopped herself shifting on her feet. "She moved away you know."

"Really, well I hope she likes where she moved to," Jonathan said lazily glancing back at the blonde. "Did you want to say something else?"