Chapter One

Pleasure and Business

Copyright © 2013 by  taniatouma

All rights reserved

Chapter one

Damn you stupid alarm!! I really need a vacation just to rest from this annoying sound, or maybe I need a hot sexy man to wake me up instead of this mean machine. It is 6:30 am so I'm already late which means I will skip my relaxing coffee time and have it in the busy office instead.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about my job is waking up at 6 am. Being the leading interpreter of a multinational construction company is a very challenging career especially for a 28 years old woman. This position requires complete dedication, I must be ready to travel to any country where the company has a branch or associates or whenever a project is processing or certain contracts must be done.
After a quick breakfast and a refreshing shower to get rid of the partying mood from the weekend, I got in my convertible BMW and head to work.
As I entered my office, my PA Sofia followed me with her tablet in hand.

"You have a busy week Ms. Crown I hope you are prepared", she said knowing I'm far away from being prepared.
"How can I be prepared and I haven't even had my morning coffee yet, you know me Sofia, I can't think straight without some caffeine in my system. Anyway, show me the schedule and get the documents for the "Golden Tower" project". Sofia handed the tablet so I check my weekly schedule and left closing the door behind her. Then she reopened it and said with a smile "I will get your coffee ready in a bit, I have some news for you, you definitely need your coffee". She closed the door without even giving me the chance to comment. Sofia was my personal assistant since i started working in this company and she was the PA for the woman who occupied this post before me as well, she's been serving this company for at least a decade, and ever since I started working here we became best friends in spite of the age difference.
While I was waiting for my coffee and the documents, I went to the bathroom to check myself in the mirror since I didn't have much time to do so at home. Looking at my pale figure I decided to apply some make up using the spare make up bag I keep in my office next to some spare clothes, underwear and shoes in the bathroom's closet.

Thankfully, is office is quite big; it is set of two rooms in open space in addition to a private room and a huge bathroom. The main office has kind of a small conference table with six chairs in black leather, my main desk and a wall behind that has shelves on which there are books, souvenirs from the countries I've visited and pictures of my family and friends. In between my personal office and the conference table there is a set of three leather sofas facing a huge glass window that shows the city from above. Believe me, seeing the Times Square from the 78th level is quite a view.

Applying some make up boosted up my self esteem it is not that I need any, but a little bit more of self esteem never hurts. I looked at my body in the mirror and noticed that I gained some weight but I forgave myself since comfort food was the only thing comforting me after my breakup with Ray. I still cannot believe that after almost a year together my feelings suddenly changed and I was no longer willing to live the "together forever" dream. As I was day dreaming I heard a knock on my office's door and rushed to my seat behind the desk. Finally it was Sofia with my coffee and the documents.
"Seriously Ms. Crown? Do you still change from high heels to flat shoes as soon as you enter your office? Why don't you wear the flat ones from home?"
"Well excuse me if I am a petite and don't have your tall figure! And what's with you and 'Ms. Crown' today? Since when do you call me by my last name when it is only us? What happened to 'Tania'?
"I wanted you to think highly of yourself", she said teasing.
"Enough with your teasing, I haven't had a sip of my coffee yet" I said joking. "Oh and what are the news you mentioned earlier?"
"Are you sure you are ready? Maybe I should come back later? Perhaps after your third or fourth cup of coffee?"
"Hit me with news woman!"
"Alright! At your own risk?"
"Speak already!"
"Jacobs will be in town."
I almost chocked when I heard the name 'Jacobs' and widened my eyes in complete surprise.
"As in Kevin Jacobs? The owner of Jacobs industries? The company in which we all work?"
"Kevin Jacobs in flesh and blood."
"This cannot be happening to me, how long will he stay?"
"Well Tania, here is the big news; Mr. Jacobs will be in charge of the New York office."

Hearing these words I felt my head will explode, thank God I was already sitting or I would have hit the ground for sure. I really think such news is too much to handle on a Monday morning. And I thought I was having a casual morning! Silly me!
"As soon as I got the board's agenda for today's meeting and read this news I thought I should tell you and save you from the embarrassment in front of those men. I know you pretty well dear; I knew you will have this astonished look on your face for quite a long time."
"Thank you for doing so Sofia, you really saved me, but I still can't absorb the idea yet!"
I cannot forget the first and last time I saw Kevin Jacobs, we were in a charity dinner organized by the company almost a year ago, back then Kevin was still the general manager of the company while his father, John Jacobs was the CEO. Our seats in the dinner were next to each other given we were both board members. I was still with Ray at that time and Kevin was accompanied by a gorgeous top model and even though i was madly in love with Ray I felt some kind of spark between Kevin and I. Since our seats were next to each other we had a small talk about the company, its branches and the projects. At that time I felt that the highlight of my night was the small talks I had with Kevin. When his father officially introduced us we shook hands and I remember clearly that it lasted a while that Ray coughed on purpose so I release my hand, the moment we touched an electrical vibe ran through my veins, he looked me in the eyes and suddenly I was lost in the deep seas of his blue eyes. Since that second something began to grow towards Kevin Jacobs and since that second the thought of him being around me disturbs me. I was never before intimidated by a man and I thought that no man can do that but in 5 seconds Kevin Jacobs proved me wrong.

After the board meeting ended, the day passed in spite of the disturbing new I got earlier. At 7 pm I dragged myself out of the office dreaming of a glass of Chardonnay and creamy pasta.

*****