17

"Her sister?" I question.
"She was perfect in every way. Perfectly formed. Perfect size. Perfect weight. Everything." James says nodding.
"What's happened to her?" Mum asks.
"The one thing that wasn't perfect. She didn't breathe. She was stillborn." He explains.
"I was so happy to have a little sister then they took her from me." Sam sobs. "When I found out Daddy was pregnant with Will I wasn't happy and he lived. So I pretended not to be happy with this baby and it didn't work. Now they're going to take Daddy from me too."
"Its not your fault, Sam. Never think that it's your fault." Brad says focussing on his daughter.
"But it is Papa I was happy and they're taking him from us." She says insistently.
"Its not your fault. If anyone's to blame it's me. I should have kept a closer eye on your Daddy." Brad tells her.
"Its nobodies fault." Mum tells them. "Its just how things are meant to be. Things like this being families closer together and that's what it's doing to you. You have to believe things will get better." Brad nods not convinced and Sam pulls herself closer to her father and brother. Mum and James sit on either side of Brad and I park my chair in front of him. We all sit in silence a while.
"Family of Connor Simpson?" A nurse asks walking into the waiting room.
"Here." James says as Brad stands slowly.
"Mr. Simpson is weak but stable." The nurse tells us. I hear James let out a sigh of relief.
"What about the baby?" Brad questions, concerned.
"The baby isn't very strong he's only three pounds two ounces. They don't know yet if he'll live or not." The nurse says honestly.
"Can we see Connor?" I ask.
"As long as you keep him calm." The nurse says hesitantly.
"Seeing his husband and children will calm him down." I assure her. She nods, leading us down the hall to one of the rooms.
"Con?" Brad says his name softly as we enter the room.
"Brad?" Is the soft response. Brad pulls up a chair next to Connor's bed. He sits down with Will still clinging to his neck. Sam leans against his knee.
"I was so scared." Brad tells Con, grabbing his hand.
"I would never leave you." Con replies softly.
"I know." Brad says pulling his husband's hand up to his lips.
"Come here, Sam. Let me see you baby." Con tells his daughter. She walks up to him, laying her head on his shoulder.
"I was afraid you'd gone to Chloe." She says softly.
"I couldn't leave you and you brother." He tells her, stroking her head. We all sit quietly until somebody softly knocks on the door. A nurse pops her head in.
"Your son is stable." She says. "Would you like to see him?"
"Yes please." Connor says his voice shaking.
"I'll go get him." She says smiling at him.
She's back a few minutes later with a large plastic box on wheels. I takes me a minute to realise there's a small baby inside.
"He's so tiny." Sam says looking in.
"He is." Connor agrees.
"John." Brad says looking at him.
"What?" The nurse asks confused.
"His name." Brad explains. "His name is Johnny."
"Another named after me?" Connor asks softly with a ghost of a smile.
"Yeah because he's going to be as strong as you." Brad tells him.