Chapter Seven: Said Damsel

Jack's POV:

We ran along a beach and came to the opening of a cave. Maria stood by me. "The Santiago," I said, "Famously captained by Ponce de Leon." I looked over and noticed she was already climbing. As we climbed I asked her, "Is it coincidence that your last name is the same as the ships?" "Even if it weren't a coincidence, why should I tell you?" She snapped. "Something wrong, love?" I asked. "No, just wondering why I have a bloody git following me around," She shot back. "Oi that definately tells me somethings wrong," I called. By the time the sunset, we made it to the ship. We moved a floor board and popped our heads up. "Ponce de Leon," Maria mumbled.

We stepped up and into the room. "If forty pirates dreamt forty nights it would not match the content of this room," a familiar voice echoed. "You," I said. Barbossa stood up and came out of the shadows. "You," Barbossa said. I drew my sword. I heard Maria do the same. "No you," She said. "I was here first. You. Why are you here?" Barbossa asked.

"Blackbbeard sent us. Why are you?" I asked.

"Silver chalices for a royal liege," He said.

"Oh please," Maria said.

She lunged forward and the ship tipped. "Back, back we have to balance it out. The whole ship will slide!" Barbossa said. We sheathed our swords.

"Right then. What if we each choose an item of approximately equal weight?" I asked. I picked up a gold vase. We tipped to the port side. "Put it back!" Maria snapped, "We touch nothing." I set the vase down. Suddenly a chest with images of the chalices slid out from under the bed. "What about that?" I asked. "The chalices," Barbossa smiled. He walked back making the ship tilt and having the box slide towards him. "Oi, why do you get to look first?" I asked walking towards him. We switched places. "Fine then," he shouted. Suddenly Barbossa tripped over some gold, and we tilted. I summersalted towards Barbossa. Maria walked to the box. Barbossa and I crawled towards the box. "Together," We all said placing our hands on the lid. We opened it to reveal rocks. "Rocks," I said. "The spanish," Barbossa said.

"There ahead of us, mates," Maria said.

"I should have a look at that map if it's what I fear," I said.

We jumped on the bed and I threw a coin off. "Wonder why they left this behind?" I questioned grabbing the map. As I did, the dead Ponce de Leon looked towards me. Barbossa and Maria both mouthed, "Don't touch the map." I set the map down. "They know the path, but I can see where they'll most likely make camp," Barbossa said. We left the Santiago. I was still curious if there was a connection with Maria and Ponce de Leon.

We came on a hill and saw the Spanish camp."Jack?" Gibbs asked. Maria shushed him. "Gibbs," I whispered, "I was just on me way to break you out of jail." His face said he didn't believe me. "You stole my map," I said thumping his nose. "Right, best be started." Barbossa said standing up followed by Maria. "Ole," I said when they left. I followed after them.

"What's your play, Jack? Throwing in with Barbossa?" Gibbs asked. "There is a girl, a female, of the opposite sex." I said.

"When is there not?" Gibbs asked.

"Perhaps I should say damsel," I added.

"Your rescuing a damsel? Well thats a first," Gibbs said shocked.

"Yes, but it's just that I may have caused said damsel some harm in the past." I added.

"Out with it," He said.

"Gibbs, this is the woman from Seville," I said.

"Ah you pretended to love and then left her and broke her heart," he said.

"Well, the thing is I may have been with her too hide my stirrings for...," I said looking to Maria.

"What you mean like feelings?" He asked.

"No, no, no, no not quite all the way the feelings more like...," I said. I could tell Gibbs wasn't buying it. "Alright feelings damn you," I finally admitted. "And you still didn't go after her oh thats low," he chastised. "Thank you," I groaned.

We came to a place were we crossed a creek and into their camp. "Stealth over force we'll take it from here." I said to Barbossa. "You don't have termites do you?" I asked. I heard Maria stifle a laugh. "I appreciate your concern, Jack, but I'll be accompanying you both all the same." He said. We quickly swam across the creek.

Maria's POV:

Barbossa stopped at a tree. "What are you doing?" Jack asked. "Planning an escape route. Isn't that how you do it?" Barbossa said. "Sometimes, and sometimes I just improvise, " Jack said. "You really think you can figure out his bloody method to his miraculous escapes?" I said. We dodged down and crawled behind Jack. We snuck into a tent where we saw the chalices. Jack took one and Barbossa the other. When the guard looked under the table and then sat up I knocked him out with the bud of my pistol. "Now what?" I asked. "We stroll out slow and steady just like we belong." He said. We walked down the dirt road. We passed three guards. Suddenly we drew out swords and fought them. When they were knocked out we ran around the corner and into a gun line. I saw Jack sneer.