Chapter Five: Mermaids

Jack's POV:

We docked in White Cap Bay quickly. We rowed to shore and went to a lighthouse. Maria stayed far from me and didn't look at me when I looked at her. She was acting strange. Eventually we got the light to shine on the men in a boat that were the bait for the mermaids. It was cruel, but I had no say in it. We waited on the dock for something to happen, and eventually I lay on the sand and rested while we waited. I looked over at Maria who was leaning against a post on the dock. Suddenly there was a small commotion on the rowboat. I stood up and looked. Suddenly the entire boat was being attacked. "It has begun!" Blackbeard shouted. Some other men where then instinctively throwing bombs in the water to drive them to shore.

Maria's POV:

All became quiet. Suddenly I heard a whip and a man fall into the water. I looked over to see a mermaid with what appeared to be a some kind of whip made of seaweed. Suddenly I looked over the sea and saw thousands almost coming towards us. Out from under me the dock broke. I fell and hit hard. Suddenly a whip caught hold of my boot. Jack grabbed my hand and cut the whip. He pulled me away from the dock and ran towards the lighthouse. I carefully watched as men were killed. "Retreat all to land!" I shouted, "Retreat I say! Look alive!" "Cowards back in the water!" Blackbeard interjected, "There be no refudge on land. Mark my words." He fired a shot at a crewman almost hitting him. Suddenly the lighthouse exploded. I looked to see Jack diving from the top of it.

He splashed into the water. "We got one!" some men shouted. I walked over and the net revealed scrum. He spat up water and said, "I'm in love!" "Check the wounded. See if you can find one mermaid still alive!" Blackbeard ordered. I suddenly saw Philip stab his sword into a pool. I then saw what he stabbed. A mermaid. I ran after him followed by some crewmen with a net. They threw the net on her making her hiss and struggle. "Come give a hand," Blackbeard said, "Well done sailor." He pointed to Philip. "Did everyone see that cause I will NOT be doing that again," Jack said. I smirked because I did see it. He must have saw me smirking because he winked at me. I turned my attetnion back to the mermaid. "Back to the ship. We head for Protective cove. Now," Blackbeard ordered. I took another glance at the mermaid and then retreated.

I heard Jack jump out of the water and after me. He finally caught up with me which was the last thing I wanted him to do. "Oi! Maria!" he said.

"What Sparrow?" I asked.

"Eh no need to be snappy love," he said.

"Thank you for savnig me," I said stopping.

I looked to him. He smiled deviously at me. Inside my heart fluttered, but I couldn't show that I fancied him. I turned away and went to the ship. I quickly made my way to my cabins. I wanted to cry, but I was too frustrated. He never made it easy for me. I was forcing myself to hate him just so he could live. If I told him he would give away the entire bloody plan. I fell asleep worrrying that he or I would give away the plan.