chapter 7

"Done. Exactly how you looked before," you blew the long hairs off his shoulder. You gave Bucky a good shave, washed his hair, and then finished cutting it. You backed up to look at your work. Wow, was he good looking. He looked just like the first of the two pictures from the file. This is how he was meant to be.

"Are you ready to see?" You jumped in excitement as Bucky was about to see himself in a way he hadn't for almost seventy years.

"To be honest, I'm a little nervous," his eyes reached up to yours and stopped.

"That's okay, but I promise you that you'll be happy with it."

"I know (Y/N), I know. I trust you," he hesitated and took a deep breath. "Okay, let's do this."

You guided him over to the biggest mirror, which was masterfully hung in the bathroom. You covered his eyes and told him it was going to be a surprise.

"Okay, ready? One, two, three!" You threw your hands off his face and moved over to see his reflection.

He stood there in awe of what he was looking at. You wished you could know what he was thinking in that moment, but you let him gawk at himself for a second.

.............................................................................

(Bucky's pov)

I inhaled deeply as (Y/N) removed her hands from my eyes. Wow. I couldn't believe it. Without my long stringy hair, I almost forgot what I looked like. Actually, I was better looking than I remembered. I ran my fingers through my freshly washed hair and for the first time in a while, it wasn't greasy. I felt clean again. It was a weird feeling, but I couldn't help but smile.

I knew I could trust (Y/N), but now I realized how glad I was that I did. I ran my fingers over my chin, and then my cheeks. My skin has never felt so smooth. It made me look like a completely different person. I think that's what (Y/N) was getting on about. She knew I needed a new start, and knew exactly how to do it. It was perfect. I actually felt good about being around her now. I didn't feel like a grungy dog with matted hair.

I leaned over to (Y/N) and gave her a quick kiss on her forehead. It caught her off guard, but she giggled a little, and her giggle was the cutest thing I've ever heard. She hated her laugh, but she was the prettiest when she was smiling.

"Thank you doll, this is exactly what I needed," I flashed her a smile, which she returned. I felt my heart pound, but I couldn't let her know that. She was assigned here to keep me company, and that's all she was doing.

.............................................................................

Bucky thanked you with a quick peck on the head, which made you release a small laugh. Why weren't you able to hold in your laughs? They were so embarrassing, but Bucky seemed to enjoy it. He smiled at the sound of your laugh, and his face relaxed.

"Thank you doll, this is exactly what I needed," he assured you.

You gave him another smile in return, locking eye contact. His eyes were doing it again. You could get lost in them everytime, but you couldn't let it happen. Tony and Steve wanted you to keep him company, but you worked for them. So was getting feelings for your assignments unprofessional? Either way, you had to keep this casual.

But you wished you didn't have to.