chapter 1

You sat in your office, feeling the cool air conditioning blow on top of your hair. Light was shining through the top-to-bottom windows of your all-white office. You were a therapist for the new Avengers station. You worked for S.H.I.E.L.D originally, but stuff has really gone downhill since then.

You worked closely with the Avengers, especially Steve Rodgers. In the past, he would come and just talk things out. He was never upset, but he always seemed to want to get things off his chest. Most of the time he would just tell you stories of the war and missions he's gone on. Lately, the topic has been a little more touchy.

Bucky Barnes was an old friend of Steve's, and you felt like you practically knew him. You have heard all the stories about him and seen him on the news. However, he was known as the Winter Soldier to you. Until Steve started talking about him, which was only recently, you've only been told about the dark side of this mysterious man. Steve told you different stories. He told you about before the war, and how this man was strong and caring. A "lady's man" is how Steve referred to him one time, and it made you happy to see Steve talk about him like this.

You were updated not too long ago that Bucky was put into cryo again, and Steve never said a word about him again. But it was your job to make sure that he was just as talkative as he was before. You lifted your face up towards the ceiling, feeling the rush of the air being layed on your face. Steve was about to come in for another session, so you were ready to sit and listen. You had a feeling this was going to be a long session.

Unexpectedly, Tony Stark walked into your office. Heck, he practically threw himself into your office.

"(Y/N)!" Tony declared as he strutted towards you.

Your head shot up your eyes met his. You looked down and saw him carrying a folder in his hands. He slapped it onto your desk and waited for you to answer.

"Read it," he told me with a stern look on his face. No one ever knew what Tony was going to do, so you were a little cautious opening the file.

You slid your fingers across the edge of the file, stamped with words in red:"CLASSIFIED".   You slowly peered into it, finding that it was a personal file. You scanned the pages for a name.

James Buchanan Barnes.

"What is this supposed to be?" I glanced up at Tony, who had a tough expression on his face.

"Your new assignment."