Chapter 7 - Secret Messages

Chapter 7 – Secret Messages

Good morning, Layla. Do you like your new phone? – P.

Layla’s held her breath. Her heart was beating furiously. What set out to be an unwinding evening was completely ruined. Instead of getting her mind off him, she was thrown into a dilemma when the parcel arrived. She had yet to tell Chris or Jane about the little gift that she received just yesterday. In fact, she was not sure if she even should. She didn’t like the arguments that were bound to arise. Perhaps she should just return it back to him, especially seeing that she had to reply his message in secret.

Hi Philippe. Good morning. I can’t accept it. I need to return it back to you. – L.

Layla pressed the send button.

The reply came in an instant. No. This is not up for discussion anymore.

Layla sighed, not knowing how to convince him otherwise. Just then, came another message.  Call me once you’ve decided on the offer. Just press 1.

Okay..

Take your time. I can wait.

Layla stared into the phone, unsure of how to react to his last message. Her attention was then diverted to the beautiful phone that she was holding. For fear of being discovered by Chris, who arrived home shortly after the call from Philippe yesterday, she had hid the phone in one of her drawers and only took it out this morning when it was safe to.

Now, studying the phone carefully, she was amazed by its sleek design. Encased in a sturdy gold-plated cover, it was incredibly thin and impressively light. Its screen was touch-sensitive, a refreshing change from her analog ones. She had previously been envious when she saw others with one. But now, there’s one just within her grasp and it came to her just so easily.

No! What was I thinking! Layla mentally scolded herself. It must have been very expensive. I must return it back to him!

She liked the phone but it also made her feel rather sneaky for not being able to be honest enough to tell her friends about it.

This man is dangerous, she reminded herself over and over again. The fact that he knew where she lived meant that he already had her investigated. It scared her not knowing to what extent this man had found out about her.

She was about to hide the phone back into her drawer when she felt it vibrate.

I’ll be thinking of you.

She could feel her cheeks tremble in sync with her heartbeat. The feelings he stirred in her were so foreign yet it scared her how he could do it so easily just through one simple message.

“Layla?” a familiar voice almost had her heart leaping out. She placed the phone back into the drawer before hastily pushing it close with a loud thud and turning to the source of the voice.

“Yes!” she nearly shrieked.

Chris looked curiously at Layla’s startled face, a ladle in his hands. “Is everything alright, baby doll?”

“Yes” she barely managed to suppress the quiver in her voice. Realizing how nervous she may have sounded, Layla momentarily paused before continuing, “I mean yes. Everything’s fine.”

“You sure?” Chris raised a brow.

“Yeah. May be just a little hungry, but I’ll be fine” Layla smiled reassuringly.

“Oh baby doll” Chris chuckled. “You’ve got the cutest reaction for someone who is hungry.”

Layla pressed her lips into a lip line, not liking the fact that she had just lie to her best friend. “Well, let’s go or we’ll be late. I have to clock in early at Coleen’s place.”