Chapter 6 - To be or not to be

Chapter 6 – To be or not to be

The rest of the week went by as normal. The chaos at both Diner's Delight and The Dorchester helped kept Layla’s mind off him.

She liked it that way – not thinking of him, especially so since he had made no effort to contact her again ever since that night.

It was like as if that kiss didn't bother him at all! Layla frowned.

His absence also gave her time to consider his offer. She couldn't deny it. It was indeed a very tempting offer. In fact, it would be foolish if she rejects it. After all, haven’t she worked so hard these past few years just to save enough to go back to college?

In spite of that, her savings were still barely sufficient to put her through the first year itself and even if she has had enough, she would still have to work part time in college to support herself, which may in turn jeopardize her studies.

However, should she decide to take up the offer, he would have taken care of all those worries.

As a matter of fact, like what he had mentioned, she would be able to build a solid foundation that would greatly assist her in her studies. There wouldn't be any fear of not being able to cope as fast as the other students nor would she have to worry about her financial status.

It would have solved all her problems.

Despite that, there is a lingering fear of what might happen if she agrees to his offer.

The fear of the man himself.

He may have offered her a job, but she was dead sure her assistance in the business dinner the other night was not the sole reason for his offer.

The lust in his eyes was unmistakable, she was sure of it.

Signing up would have meant being in close proximity to him and Layla knew just how lethal that could be. The explosive chemistry they shared was enough to threaten her to throw away her dignity.

“Excuse me” Layla heard someone calling out, awaking her from her reverie.

“Yes sir?”

“I believe I ordered a Boeuf Bourguignon" a man with wisp white hair stated, looking slightly annoyed.

“Oh..” Layla looked down at his plate, momentarily puzzled.

“And here it is, sir” Jane intercepted, serving the man his food while taking the plate of Confit de Canard away.

“We apologize, sir. She is rather new here. Only a week old” Jane appeased the customer, giving him her dazzling smile.

“Well, I sure hope it doesn't happen again” said the man, half-glaring at Layla.

“Oh no, it won’t” Jane assured. “Bon appétit.”

Merci.”

"Je vous en prie" 

Jane then walked her friend over to the staff’s area, wearing a worried expression.

“Hunny, are you okay?” placing both her hands on Layla’s shoulder.

“Yeah, I am. Perhaps, just a little tired” Layla replied as she pushed aside her fringe. “Thanks for helping me out there.”

Jane looked at her, her facial expression spelling out every doubt she had on her friend’s reasoning.

“No, you’re not okay” Jane stated, firmly. “You have always been very focused. But, these past few days, you look really distracted. What’s troubling you? Did you and Chris have a fall out?” Jane enquired.