Chapter 4 - The Smart Woman

"Hunny, I was looking for you!" exclaimed Jane, the moment Layla clocked in for her shift.

"I have just rushed over from Coleen's place. The tube was awfully crowded" explained Layla.

"It's okay. That's not what I meant" Jane continued.

"Then?"

Before Jane could elaborate further, the restaurant manager, Mr Green appeared, looking every bit his usual grouchy self.

"Knight!"

"Yes, Mr Green?" Layla answered.

"You're in charge of Salon Privé tonight together with Smith."

"Yes, Mr Green"

"And Smith, what the hell are you still doing here?" Green glared at Jane.

"I was about to get Layla to.."

"Stop wasting time! Go!" Green dismissed.

"Yes, Mr Green" both of them replied but by then, Mr Green had stormed off as quickly as he came in.

"Twerp!" Jane insulted.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Both of them then rushed over to the private dining room. Salon Privé is the restaurant's exclusive posh dining room which may cater up to six people. Jane gently knocked on the door before entering.

"Bonsoir. Welcome to The Dorchester. I am Jane and this is Layla" Jane introduced.

"We will be at your service this evening" Layla greeted.

As soon as she lifted her gaze, Layla immediately found a pair of blazing grey eyes staring at her.

She gasped and instinctively took a step back.

Her body froze.

Oh no! What is he doing here?! She panicked.

She recognized the owner of that heated stare. She didn't need to look further for confirmation. The unfamiliar emotions that run riot within her just from that gaze itself were enough to tell her who that person is.

Liquid pools of heat were exploding viciously from her secret core. Shit! This is embarrassing!

Ever since the encounter the other night, she had been trying her best to bury the images of the beautiful stranger. She didn't like the foreign emotions he stirred in her. It was dangerous. And right now, it's all coming back to her.

He continued staring at her. He didn't miss the subtle crossing of her legs as she squirmed under his lustful stare. A smirk forming at the corner of his lips, liking the reaction he triggered in her.

Jane noticed the exchange of glances and looked back at Layla, giving her suddenly shy friend a knowing smirk.

"Can you take our orders now?" Philippe asked with a sober expression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippe carried on with the business dinner as usual. It was a dinner hosted for his associates from Dubai to discuss a long term contract signed between both parties, which would see Astor Corporation dominating almost two-third of the oil rigs around the world.

It was hours before the dinner finally ended. Layla was relieved. She wanted to get out of that room as soon as she could. Thank god Jane had been there. Her friend had taken care of that side of the dining table, helping Layla avoid close proximity to him. Despite that, she still couldn't help but feel being watched for every move she took and every word she said. It made her very self-conscious and uncomfortable. She finds herself constantly stealing glances of him but he was just ignoring her and acting so normal.

It was mad hell frustrating. What is wrong with me?! Stop acting weird, Layla!

"OMG. He totally has the hots for you, hunny" stated an excited Jane as she walked into the staff's changing room.

Layla feigned ignorance, pretending not to know what her friend had just implied.

"That sexy beast! Philippe Astor! He was staring at you all throughout dinner!"

"No, he's not!" came Layla's swift denial.

"He was! I saw him checking you out and so were you! The way he looked at you was just like that night at the party" Jane said to a red faced Layla, who couldn't make a comeback to Jane's accusation.

Jane teased further, "The sexual tension between you guys is so tense it makes me all wet and horny! It's like watching live porn without the naked bodies!" Jane laughed loudly.

"Stop it, Jane. There's nothing going on. Like what you said, he's a playboy. It could have been other girls in the room and he would still do the same thing" Layla justified, trying to busy herself with packing up her belongings to head back home. The fact that she had encountered the beautiful stranger again tonight despite trying her hardest to get him out of her mind ever since the party night, was bad enough. She didn't need her friend planting weird ideas into her mind.

"Mmm, I guessed you have a point there" Jane agreed before adding, "But seriously speaking, if he's really interested, you could be set for life! I mean this is the Philippe Astor we are talking about. He could give you anything your heart desires. And he could be the very means of you getting out of this shit life."

Layla remained silent as if pondering over her friend's last remark.

"My advice to you as a friend is, go for it. I mean, it's not every day you will get to catch the eye of a sexy billionaire."

"Yeah sure, like it would ever happened" Layla rolled her eyes, doubting she would ever enjoy such good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

She had just exited The Dorchester to catch the next tube home when Layla found a suit-clad man calling out to her.

"Miss Knight?"

"Err, yes?"

"I'm Albert Harrison, Mr Astor's chauffer."

Layla stifled a gasped at his last words.

"Mr Astor is offering to send you back home tonight."

Behind him, Layla saw a black limo, parked by the curb. Emotions started to run havoc. He could give you anything your heart desires. And he could be the very means of you getting out of this shit life. Jane's words came back to haunt her. But before she could consider the offer, she found herself saying "Okay."

"Follow me, please"

As Layla walked towards the limo, its door opened and out walked the man himself. In front of her stood the man she has been trying to rid her mind of. He stood confidently with his hands tucked into his pockets with that same intimidating stare he wore in the dining room. She couldn't see it properly before as he was seated the whole time during the dinner, but now she got a full body view of him in his silver Prada suit, which brought out the colour of his eyes even more. There was no crisp white shirt underneath his suit this time. Instead, he wore a black shirt and around his collar, there was a brown scarf, making him more of a mouth-watering specimen, if that is any possible.

"Layla huh" his voice deep.

"Yes.." Layla replied.

"I'm Philippe Astor" he held out his hands.

Hesitantly, she reached out and shook his large, warm hands. "I'm Layla Knight".

The moment they touched, skin to skin, the fireworks coursed through them. It was just like that night at the balcony. Layla tried to withdraw her hands, but Philippe wouldn't let her. Not so fast. He continued holding on to it in a steel grip, longer than what is deemed appropriate.

"Lovely name for a beautiful lady" he said before reluctantly releasing it. "Are you done for the night, Layla?"

"Yes, I was just about to go home" she said, trying hard to suppress the shivers running through her body upon hearing her name the second time.

"Where do you live?"

"In Dartford"

"Come" Philippe gestured for her to enter the limo.

With heavy steps, she went into it, unsure of what even spurred her to agree on hitching a ride with him. She chose to sit as far away from him as possible. Her choice of seating was not lost on Philippe. He liked how his mere presence affected her just like what it did in the restaurant. Purposefully, he sat directly opposite her, unbuttoning his coat to sit comfortably.

The ride started out with awkward silence. Each of them not making any effort to speak. Layla was looking out at the window as if her life depended on it, while Philippe was shamelessly staring at her. She knew he was staring. It made her regretted agreeing to let him send her home.

Under his heated gaze, she felt completely naked. And hot.

"Do you want anything to drink? A glass of Sherry, perhaps?" Philippe broke the deafening silence as he pointed to his mini bar.

"Yes please" Layla replied, hastily. She knew she desperately needed a drink to help calm her raging nerves. Being in the same confined space as him was threatening her sanity.

"The dinner tonight was perfect" he said nonchalantly, passing her the drink. His voice a melodious seduction.

"Thank you. I will let the chef know of it" Layla replied after taking a sip, grateful at how calm and collected she sounded.

Unable to further look into his eyes, she made to look out into the window again when he said, "I would say it's all thanks to you."

"Me?" a surprised Layla asked.

"Well, for a start, who would have thought how well Montrachet could go with a dry-aged porterhouse?" he gave her his stunning smile

"Oh.." Layla felt her checks becoming a tad too warm. Was it from the drink or something else, she couldn't quiet pinpoint.

"One of the main stakeholders is a very picky man when it comes to his meals. He called the dinner just now 'a scrumptious voyage'. That helped me seal the deal, all thanks to you."

Layla smiled weakly.

"Montrachet is a very complicated wine. What made you choose to pair it up with a dry-aged porterhouse?"

Timidly, Layla explained. "It was a lucky guess, I think. Cause dry-aged steak has lost a lot of its tough fibers. It is very mellow and tender. But the rich oak flavor of Montrachet would help to draw out the flavour of porterhouse, that well resonates the contrast of the pair."

Philippe noticed how she was trying to busy herself looking everywhere except at him.

"Very impressive. That's hardly any lucky guess, Layla."

That caught her attention. She looked directly at him, blushing. Somehow, she liked the sound of her name rolling from his lips. It was like music to her ears.

"So.. you're a full time waitress?" Philippe asked again.

"Yes, Mr Astor"

He chuckled throatily. "You just added twenty years to my life. Just Philippe will do" he smiled at her, reassuringly. Layla was thankful for the dimmed lights, or else, Philippe would catch her blushing, yet again.

"But you seem oddly young to be doing it full time" he probed further.

"Oh.. I-I studied until high school. Have to come out to work" Layla confessed, feeling very embarrassed by her lack of qualification.

"You don't mind me asking, but why?"

She fidgeted with her fingers at the stem of her wine glass and took another mouthful before answering. "Because I couldn't afford the fees, so I decided to come out and work.."

Philippe looked at her for a few seconds before adding, "I see..And what would be next?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, where do you see yourself after that?"

Layla pursed her lips together, unsure if she should reveal to him something such as her future plans. Isn't it a bit too personal? But she couldn't get herself off this interrogation-like conversation as he was looking expectantly at her.

"I was hoping to..work and maybe, get enough money to fund my own studies" Layla enunciated each word slowly.

"And what type of courses do you have in mind?"

"Maybe something business related, I don't know."

Philippe looked at her as he rubbed his low lips with his fingers, as if comtemplating hard over something. He then placed down his wine glass and moved to sit next to a startled Layla.

"That's a good choice. The opportunity the business world offers is vast. But, to jump into in without any foundation may prove to be a foolish choice."

Layla looked wide-eyed at him. She didn't understand what he meant. But then again, it could be because she could now smell his expensive cologne due to his nearness.

"As a businessman myself, I would recommend you to get as much as exposure as you can first. It would help you greatly when you pursue your studies."

"What do you mean?" Layla questioned.

Philippe moved to take out a card holder from inside his coat. He then drew out a card and gave it to Layla, who took it warily. On the card, it reads, 'Philippe Jacob Astor - President of Astor Corporation'.

"Our company always appreciates talent, Miss Knight. You're a smart woman as you have proved yourself tonight. We have positions to help you develop yourself. The pay will be very much higher than what you are getting right now" Philippe stated, in his business-like tone.

Layla was dumbfounded. He's offering me a job in his company?! I just told him I don't have a college degree. Why would he do that??

Jane's reminder then came reverberated in her skull. He could be the very means of you getting out of this shit life. Go for it.

Just then, the limo stopped. Albert came out and opened the door.

"We have already reached, Mr Astor, Miss Knight" Albert announced.

Layla woke up from her stupor. She looked out at Albert before turning to Philippe, a shocked expression on her face.

"I said I lived in Dartford but I didn't tell you exactly where. How did you know?"

"Like I said, Miss Knight, you're a smart woman. You'll figure it out" Philippe answered, before catching her lips in a searing kiss for the first time ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes

This chapter is dedicated to my first follower, KBrockmeyer. Thank you for your support. :)

Anna x