Chapter Nine: The Coronation Ceremony

"My protector; you're alright!" Yasmenne launched herself at Stefan, whose eyes had just cracked open for the first time in a few days.

"I thought by now you would know that I wouldn't leave you for any reason," Stefan laughed, wincing slightly.

Yasmenne could only stare into his green eyes and kiss him on the mouth, feeling his fingers tangle into her black locks. Releasing her after a few minutes, Stefan pushed himself up onto his arms, and Yasmenne traced the bandages on his side. "Could you stop getting yourself hurt so much?"

"I'll stop getting injured when I stop protecting you," Stefan murmured.

Yasmenne just shook her head and murmured, "I love you."

"I love you too," Stefan replied, nuzzling her cheek.

The door opened, but Yasmenne and Stefan didn't bother to move out of their rather intimate position; there was only one person in the castle that would open a door without knocking. "Oh gosh, why didn't you say something, Yasmenne?"

"Let us alone; we caught you in a much more compromising position with Jenica," Yasmenne retorted.

"Ouch," Serriel replied, raising his hands in surrender.

"What are you still doing in here?" Yasmenne complained.

"Well, you and Stefan have yet to prepare for the coronation and wedding ceremony that will commence in less than four hours. Also, none of us particularly liked the thought of what you two were doing in here." Yasmenne just rolled her eyes. "Actually, Matre sent me in here; apparently he has another prophecy for you, Stefan."

"What did he say?" Stefan asked, struggling to sit up fully.

"He just eyed me strangely for about five minutes after awakening but refused to tell us anything, claiming that only you could learn of his vision. He didn't even tell Mansie." Serriel took Stefan's hand in his, pulled him off the bed and onto his feet, and Yasmenne helped him put on a loose coat.

"So, let's see what's so confidential." Serriel slung Stefan's left arm over his shoulders, helping him walk. Stefan clutched at his side with his right arm, grimacing and squeezing his eyes shut.

Serriel halted for a minute, his soft blue eyes suddenly staring deeply into Stefan's leaf green ones. "It was a great honor to fight alongside you, Stefan Lande, and it will be an even greater honor to become your brother at the ceremony."

"The honor was all mine, Serriel," Stefan replied, bowing the best he could. Serriel bowed back, and the two almost brothers walked down the hallway with Yasmenne at their side.

**********

They arrived in the relaxing room, where Jenica and Mansie were slouched on the chairs talking, and Matre was pacing back and forth, as tense as ever. "Matre, I heard you had a prophecy to tell me about?"

Their heads quickly snapped in his direction, Mansie exclaiming, "Stefan! You're okay!" She dashed over to Stefan and hugged him gently.

"I'll always be okay, Mansie," Stefan replied.

Mansie playfully slapped him in the arm before whispering in his ear, "Whatever Matre saw, it's really freaking him out. He's been muttering stuff about Serriel and you since the moment he woke up. It's like he doesn't understand it at all."

Stefan made a face, Serriel shrugged his shoulder, and he helped Stefan walk over to Matre. "Serriel, I think I can hobble along now," Stefan said. Serriel nodded and released him.

"So, Matre, what kind of prophecy was it this time? And why do you only need me?" Stefan asked the stressed prince.

"That's the problem, Stefan," Matre replied. "I didn't see anything."