Chapter Three: Stupid Arranged Marriages

In a month's time, Stefan's wounds had mostly healed. Yasmenne had a new outfit, consisting of a black long sleeve shirt, a green coat, blue jeans, and black cowboy-like boots embroidered with Tyaaren's royal symbol, made for him.

Yasmenne introduced him to her wild-haired older brother, Prince Serriel Tirakini. Half of his blond hair defied gravity, and the other half rested on his shoulders and back. He was always casually dressed, his attire usually a black long sleeve shirt, a black cape, blue beaded jeans, and boots like Stefan's. Serriel's soft blue eyes reminded him of Master Lande's eyes, but Stefan dismissed the thought as being homesick.

Serriel also had Stefan meet his own assistant, Jenica Moon. She had long, but not as long as Yasmenne's, dark brown hair with tanner skin and pretty brown eyes. She displayed a white blouse, a black tank top, jeans, and black boots.

Stefan noticed that while Jenica may be Serriel's royal assistant, the way he looked at her when she touched his arm indicated a deeper feeling on his behalf. He found he had something in common with Serriel: they both wanted what they couldn't have, and he couldn't help feeling like the slave he used to be.

**************

The morning after Serriel and Jenica were acquainted with Stefan, all four of them were called to the throne room. Queen Rayena Tirakini announced there would be a ball in celebration of Serriel's marriage to Princess Zarafine Sikeno of Nareth and Yasmenne's marriage to Prince Matre Sikeno of Nareth. Stefan could tell that Serriel stiffened and was trying to hide a face of disgust, upon the announcement.

King Zikylo also suggested that Stefan could propose to Jenica, if he desired, and both of them stifled gags. The four of them left the throne room, and as soon as they were out of earshot, Serriel exclaimed, "I am throwing the ball! I will not marry Zarafine; nobody can make me put that ring on her finger!"

The girls both took Serriel's hands, and Yasmenne declared, "We'll help you. I won't stand for anyone, most of all my older brother, to marry her! I can't believe that chick isn't compromised yet!"

Jenica shook in disgust, and Stefan asked, "Is the princess of Nareth really that awful?"

Jenica looked at Stefan and spat, "That chick is the worst person I've ever met. She doesn't love Serriel, or anyone else for that matter."

"She wants me, but she doesn't love me," Serriel said, shivering. "She got me alone once, and I'm not sure if anyone's touch will ever feel right again."

Stefan made a face and said, "I'm in on the plot too then."

Serriel looked at him with his soft blue eyes and said in disbelief, "Really?"

Stefan nodded. "But, I have to ask, what about Prince Matre?"

"Matre is actually a really good friend of mine, and he's nothing like his sister," Yasmenne answered, "but, I don't love him, and I never will."

"So, let's ruin the ball!" Jenica exclaimed. The other three agreed, and Serriel and Jenica departed to their chambers. Yasmenne and Stefan headed to theirs as well.

**************

As soon as he arrived back at his room, Serriel ripped off his headdress and cape and kicked off his boots and socks. Jenica quietly shut the door and removed her boots, socks, and blouse as well. Her black tank top circled her neck, exposing her unmarked, smooth back.

"Everybody knows I hate Zarafine, but did you know I love someone else?" Serriel asked Jenica, flopping onto his bed.

"No, I didn't," Jenica replied calmly, sitting herself onto his bed next to him and looking down at him.

"I don't know how to tell her I love her," Serriel said.

"Well, I'm no love expert, but if I was a boy, I'd just go up to her, get her alone, and kiss her," Jenica said simply, "and if she feels like Zarafine, I'd say, 'Oops; I thought you were someone else.'"

Serriel considered that for a moment, and he sat up. "You have good advice, Jenica," he complimented.

Jenica shrugged her shoulders, saying, "Well, I just-"

Serriel's lips met hers.

Jenica was surprised at first, but then she kissed him back, tangling her hands in his wild blond hair. Serriel wrapped one of his arms around her waist, and the other supported her back and neck, as they passionately kissed. Jenica did notice that Serriel was extremely tense. Serriel pulled back, panting, and said, "You have the worst advice ever, you know that?"

I know that; I just wanted to get a move on here, Jenica thought. She had known Serriel had liked her for about six years, and the opportune moment had struck.

Jenica gave Serriel a secret smile, causing him to relax and probably to figure out that she had known for a while, and she whispered, "Shut up", kissing him again.

**************

"Avert your eyes, Stefan," Yasmenne ordered.

Stefan looked at the wall as he heard unzipping, smirking to himself, and something fell to the floor. Yasmenne threw on a tank top and shorts, both purple, and slid onto the bed in front of him. She eased his coat off, and he took his arms out of the sleeves of his shirt. Yasmenne pulled it over his head, and Stefan turned his back to her once again. She gently removed his bandages and noticed that most of his wounds had closed up. "You're healing," Yasmenne sighed, relieved.

Yasmenne rubbed her special healing cream all over his back. "Is healing necessarily a good thing?" Stefan felt her hands stop and rest on his lower back.

"Why wouldn't it be a good thing?"

"You won't be able to do this to me anymore," Stefan said, quietly.

"For once, I agree with you," she murmured. Her hands left his back, and he raised his hands above his head. Yasmenne wrapped bandages around his torso, and when she finished, Stefan spun back around.

"Can I undo your hair?" he asked.

Yasmenne shrugged her shoulders and turned, facing away from him. Stefan went to work unbraiding her hair, and Yasmenne murmured, "Hmmmm..." Her hair was soon smooth, and Stefan pulled her closer, his hands still on her waist. He kissed her neck, and she muttered softly, "Did you know the townspeople made a legend about my hair?"

Stefan smirked against her neck. "You know how the legend goes?"

Yasmenne closed her eyes and reached her hand back to stroke his hair. "The legend is that I take men who claim to love me back to my castle, and whoever can undo my hair without hurting me is the one who is telling the truth."

"Exactly," Stefan murmured. "I was making a point."

Turning her head sideways to stare deeply into his eyes, Yasmenne whispered, "You love me, my protector?"

Stefan sighed, touching his lips to hers. "I have since I was six, my beautiful Adara."