Chapter Two: A New Mission

Stefan awoke on a bed with a soft deerskin blanket under him. Yasmenne, clad in a purple tank top and shorts, was sitting next to him. "How do you feel?" she asked, purple orbs looking him over.

"Adara?" Stefan asked, jolting up. He cried out, and she gently eased him back down to the bed.

"Do you remember anything?" she asked.

"Only a crazy dream... wait a second, where am I?"

"Stefan, it wasn't a dream. You are in the Palace of Tyaaren," Yasmenne said flatly. "Serriel is going to kill me."

"Princess, I don't deserve to be here," Stefan protested.

"Nonsense," Yasmenne dismissed the thought with a wave of her hand. "I am promoting you to my royal assistant when you recover."

"But, Princess-" Stefan started, but Yasmenne cut him off.

"And, call me Yasmenne," she said.

"Prin—Yasmenne; I don't deserve this," Stefan protested.

"Again with the nonsense, Stefan! Anyone who gives the princess the time of her life on her birthday deserves the best that Tyaaren can offer," Yasmenne countered, smirking. Stefan decided to stop protesting, until he saw his wrists.

They were scarred, but he wore no gold bracelets. "Where are my bracelets?" Stefan asked, clearly panicking.

"Those demented gold things?" Yasmenne scoffed. Stefan nodded. "You're not a slave anymore; you're my royal assistant. I scrapped them." Stefan's jaw dropped, but he didn't argue further.

"Anyways, do you remember this?" Yasmenne said, pointing to something sitting on her dresser. It was Kitty.

Stefan smiled, despite the pain in his back, recalling the fond memory. "Kitty! I won that for you when I popped five balloons!"

Yasmenne gave him a genuine smile, letting down her hair. It still reached her ankles. She slid onto the bed, next to his side, stoked his hair, put her lips to his forehead, and walked towards the door. "See you in the morning," Yasmenne said, flicking the lights off.

"Good night," Stefan said quietly. Yasmenne shut the door, and all Stefan's mind could focus on was that he was finally reunited with his beautiful Adara.