XVIII. Sonic the Hedgehog

I couldn't remember much. It was as if I had been in a coma and missed everything after meeting Dr. Light the first time. I would have believed that that's what happened, or that none of it actually happened, but now I was in the middle of a cave, trapped under a huge pile rocks, with scratches and painful burns rotting my skin. Everything around me was completely dark, except for tiny slivers of light seeping through the openings of rocks.

I tried to move, but I was completely trapped. My body was completely pinned to the ground, air barely escaping into my chest. I could hear the sound of a drill above me, but I didn't know what it was. The pressure began to lessen and lessen, so I assumed someone was helping me as opposed to trying to kill me. But under the circumstances, there was really no one I could trust except for Rock. And for all I knew, he was dead.

"Sonic?!" Mega Man called. Well, he probably wasn't dead. "Sonic!"

I coughed in response. C'mon, kid, I was buried under a million pounds of rocks and you expect me to actually reply?

I yawned. I was really, really tired. And I had no clue about what in the world was happening. I was incredibly sore. Blood seeped from my battered body, as if I had let someone beat me up. Which would never happen.

"There he is!" Mega Man shouted. He pushed away rocks, letting someone else drill a particularly large rock that was on top of me into bits. Then, Mega Man reached for my hand, which I struggled to grab, and pulled me out of the rubble. He dropped me onto the ground, and I propped myself up with one knee.

"Thanks, kid," I coughed. I looked around. Mega Man and the person next to him looked almost as bad as I did.

I know I already pretty much asked this, but where in the world was I?

Where I had been buried sat a huge tower of rocks fifty feet in the air just waiting to collapse. I blinked. How did I survive that?

All I could remember was Dr. Wily capturing me and Mega Man. He had done something to me, and now I was here in this weird cave. It was as if there was a giant void where my memories were supposed to be, drained away from me in a black hole. The more I tried to remember, the more I forgot. One second I thought I saw us in a mansion, the next my head was throbbing to the beat of my heart, which was pretty quick.

"Mega Man," I asked, my hand on the floor to stop me from falling face first onto the floor of the cave. "Where are we?"

His eyes looked like they were going to bulge out of his head, which looked kind of funny. "What do you mean? We're in Wily's Castle. We've been here for three days."

That made sense. Not. "You mean, we're in a castle, and we've been here for three days?"

I must have made a really confused/worried look on my face, because he looked at a girl that was standing next to him, then back at me. "You really don't remember anything, do you?"

I shook my head, then stood up. "I remember Wily talking to me and telling me about how he'd taken me from my planet, but..." I looked back at the girl. "Who are you?"

She seemed to get really angry, but held it in. "I'm the person you tried to kill, idiot." Mega Man looked at her, then at me. We did a lot of looking at each other in confusion for those few minutes.

"Tempo, c'mon..." Mega Man said. "It wasn't his fault."

"Rock, he almost killed you!" She argued. "He was that close. He's a danger to everyone."

"Tempo, he's our friend." He replied. "We told him we'd stick with him."

Then, I put the pieces of the puzzle together. "Wait..." I interrupted. "Hang on. This room... It got trashed because of me? You're both about to fall over because... Because of me?"

Mega Man opened his mouth to say something, but slowly nodded his head instead. "But it wasn't your fault! Wily did it. He infected you with a virus that spread all over your body and let him control you."

Mega Man continued to explain a bunch of things that had happened, and he never seemed to stop talking. And at the end, I was completely lost. Had we really gone through all of that?

I stared at them. I couldn't remember what had happened in between everything, and I probably never would.

Then everything turned for the worse.

Mega Man suddenly fell over, sparks flying from his body. I guess I hadn't realized how damaged he was. We needed to get him back to Dr. Light as soon as possible.

Tempo walked over to him as if she had been expecting it, attempting to fix parts of him. "Do you, uh," I started, "need help?"

She looked back at me for just a second. "No. I can do this myself." And I don't need the help of a murderer.

I took a step back. She didn't say the last part, but I knew it was exactly what she was thinking. It was all my fault, every bit of it. And Tempo was inclined to remind me of it every time she thought about it. After all, Mega Man might, like, die because I went berserk and tried to kill the two of them. Did I feel guilty? Oh yeah.

I sat and watched as she fixed up Mega Man, connecting wires to other wires and pressing buttons and doing way too many things. I closed my eyes, trying to sleep, but there were way too many things going through my head. At one point in this messed up journey, I had had answers to pretty much everything I needed to know about. Now I had no idea. I almost had no idea of who Dr. Wily was and what he wanted. And what he looked like? Not a chance.

"There." Tempo said. I jumped over (on my good foot) to her and Mega Man, watching as he woke up.

Then, all of a sudden, we were teleported away before any of us could say anything.

Apparently I had been teleported places before, as Mega Man told me later, but, woah, it was wacky. And not all that fun. Running at the speed of sound was better than disappearing at the speed of sound.

The three of us appeared in Light Labs, which was easy to tell because of how white the walls were. I remembered that much. There was the giant computer that had so many things on it, half of which I couldn't decipher. I was woozy and it was hard to see much, and Dr. Light and a robot (who was apparently Rock's sister) were standing in front of us.

Then my brain exploded. It seemed to happen when I saw Roll, whose name I finally remembered after seeing her. I fell to my knees and screamed, holding my head and closing my eyes. Bright, flashing lights flickered in my mind, making my eyes sore. I didn't know whether it was a side effect of the teleportation or if it was a memory trying to reveal itself, but it hurt.

It was also really, really cold, and I didn't know if that was because of whatever was happing or because of something else.

Slowly, it all vansished, and I opened my eyes. Everyone was in front of me, Mega Man on his knees and looking at my face. None of them said anything, so I said, "I'm fine."

But I couldn't hear myself say it. My eyes grew big.

Mega Man said something, but I still didn't hear him say anything. There wasn't anything in my ears, and I had just heard Rock talk five minutes earlier. They kept talking to me, all of them, the doctor and the robots, and I couldn't do anything but stare at them like they were speaking a different language. Even Tempo looked concerned for the first time ever.

I would have panicked, but I was so tired I could have fallen asleep on the floor. I took my hands off my head after I realized they were still next to my eyes, trying to lighten the pain. Mega Man grabbed my arm, trying to lead me somewhere. It was a room full of bunk beds. Finally, somewhere to sleep!

I sat on one of the bottom bunks, falling asleep before I could even close my eyes.