3. Certain Kind Of Fool

August 25th, 2016.

The first time I heard about One Direction was in March 2012 on a plane ride to Paris.

It was a school trip everyone had been looking forward to for a really long time. And of all the times I imagined it, none of them included having the most wonderful girl in the world as my best friend. Needless to say, if I never imagined that, I never imagined that I would have been dating this girl for almost six months.

Yet there we were, on the first seats of the plane, looking out the window as our city got smaller beneath our feet. I couldn't believe it was my first time on a plane, my first time leaving my country and I was going to spend the next six days in the city of love.

When the buildings had disappeared and all we could see were clouds out the window, Vic took out her iPod and handed me a headphone.

I smiled at her and put it on, some known chords from Queen exiting through it. Queen was her favourite band.

Songs went by and a big smile appeared on Vic's face when a particular song started.

"Shut the door, turn the light off, I wanna be with you, I wanna hear your voice..."

"What's this?"

"It's called Moments" she replied, humming along to the tune, "it's from a band Amelie introduced me in November" she added, "They're called One Direction"

The name didn't ring a bell at the time, and I never thought that they'd become such a huge hit.

Christmas 2012 Victoria bought her sister their second CD. Laura was already a huge fan of the boys, and the CD was definitely one of the presents she liked the most.

I remember Vic and I spent together most of the Christmas holidays. She got ill halfway through them, so we spent the holidays together but under a blanket and watching movies as she coughed and thanked me for taking care of her.

One Direction released a new CD in 2013, and their songs started appearing a lot more often on Vic's iTunes. I would usually roll my eyes whenever she started singing one of their songs.

They were nothing but a marketing boyband, that was for sure.

A marketing boyband you're now listening to.

The sassy voice that lives permanently in my head brings me back to reality, as the last chords to Story Of My Life play through the speakers.

Yes, okay, I'm listening to their music. I mean, there's gotta be something about them that makes everyone love them, right?

I get up and walk to the kitchen, putting some bacon on a pan and filling a pot with water. Pasta carbonara will do.

I hide a smile as I stupidly try to count how many times Vic and I had that meal together. It was pretty much everything we ate when we had lunch together on Thursdays.

Thursday was our chosen day to hang out after we both started university. Studying different degrees implied not seeing each other everyday, unlike when we went to school together.

Besides, Vic studied in a different campus, so unless I went to pick her up, there was no way we could see each other during the week.

Thursdays were great. Amazing, if you asked me.

It's also Thursday today.

But it's far from amazing, actually.

I decide to keep listening to the third CD as I eat lunch. These songs seem a lot familiar to me and I don't really know why.