Chapter 4

"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."

-Madame Curie

I rode with Landon on the way to his house while Cole and the rest followed. Peyton had decided she had enough for the night. I told her not to worry I'd stay at Landon's and have someone take me home in the morning.

Landon lived in a four bedroom house with two roommates. His old college buddies, Jaxson, and Billy. The house was a typical bachelor pad. They had a game room with a pool table, dart board, air hockey, and a ping pong table—which was mostly used for beer pong. In the living room they had a big flat screen TV, Xbox, and Wii, two couches, and a recliner. The fridge was always stocked with beer and the cabinets full of goodies. There was also a huge fenced in backyard with an in-ground pool and deck.

When we arrived at Landon's house we headed straight out back to enjoy the crisp night air.

"Tatum, you up for a game of beer pong?" Nate asked.

"Always."

Landon and Nate set up the game while I grabbed some beer out of the fridge. I handed one to Cole and asked if he wanted to play. He said no he'd just watch. We played a few games and after the third, I decided to stop. Everyone else continued to play while Cole sat and watched.

I needed a few minutes to myself. I took a cigarette out of my pack and walked over to the edge of the pool letting the light breeze tickle my skin.

"Five."

"Excuse me?" I said, turning my head to see Cole join me at pool's edge.

"Five, that's how many dinners you have to take me out for."

"Five, huh."

"Five, and then we'll be even. You'll never have to see me again if you don't want to." I didn't know what it was, but something in that moment reminded me of him lying to me about Tommy being gay.

"You know, I just remembered something. Tommy and I had the most interesting conversation the other night."

"Oh yeah, what about?" he said, looking a little nervous.

"About how he's not gay and you lied."

"Oh, yeah, um," he said, rubbing the back of his neck and avoiding eye contact.

"I'm gonna tell you right now I hate liars. So don't bullshit me, the truth. Why did you tell me he was gay?" I stood with my arms crossed, waiting for his answer.

He kept his head down, shuffling his feet. "I was a little jealous." I could tell he was embarrassed by the way his cheeks flushed slightly. "I saw the way you looked at Tommy and thought I'd lost my chance. So I told you he was gay." I tried not to smile. I had to admit, it took guts to admit being jealous. "I'm sorry, I don't normally do that."

"Lie or tell people Tommy's gay?" I was impressed by his honesty, but I wasn't letting him off that easily.

"Both."

I didn't say anything. I watched him as he stuffed his hands in his pockets while wrestling with the guilt of lying.

"What can I do to make it up to you?" He genuinely looked sorry, but I didn't take lying lightly.

I smiled at him sweetly. "I hope you like to swim." I didn't give a chance to respond before I quickly shoved his ass into the pool.

Boy, did I feel better.