Chapter 1

I woke up to a subtle nudging. I rolled over and it turned into a shove off my bed. I rubbed my head and looked up.

“Dad….I need sleep. It’s Sunday.

“You told me to wake you up at seven.”

“What time is it?”

“Really? After I say that sentence.” I threw a pillow at him.

“Get out of my room, I have to change.”

“Where are you going?”

“DAD, GET OUT!” He started laughing.

“Ok, ok.” I heard the door close and I got up and walked to my closet that was filled with boxes. I found and put on my clothes and tied my hair up in a pony tail. I slipped on my Nikes and walked downstairs to a table with my mom and dad at it.

“Hey Jess, where are you going?” Dad asked.

“Nowhere.” I said popping in some toast.

“Doesn’t look like it.” Mom said.

“I’m just going to the skate park with Riley and David. We’re meeting up with the rest there.”

“As long as you aren’t doing anything illegal.”

“Come on Mom. You know me.” She sighed to say I was right. I grabbed the toast that had popped out of the toaster and went to the door.

“Smoke ‘em at skating.” My dad said leaning against the doorway.

“Stop trying to be cool dad.”

“Who says I’m not cool?”

“Oh you know, this whole generation. All you do is go to ballets with mom.” He rolled his eyes as I grabbed my skateboard.

“I’m not going to tell you to wear your helmet. Be back by night time. The trucks going to be here.”

“Don’t remind me.” I flipped my skateboard down and started to the park. To hell with just going to skate. I also guarantee to be home late. I swerved past an old women yelling about the kids these days. I laughed and pushed forward. I passed downtown where the police officer who hates me waved his fist.

                Living in Harlem and being one of the only white girls there meant being treated like trash when you first got there. Now when you’ve gained respect like I have, that’s a different story. I dare to do things that rich Manhattan’s wouldn’t dare to do. I jumped over the ridge on the train tracks and passed the Apollo. I waved at Ms. Bennett, David’s foster mother who worked there.

“Don’t get into any trouble now, you hear?”

“Got it Ms. Bennett!”

“You better!” She said waving her finger at me. I got to the skate park in time to see all of my crew there. Yeah, I said it. Street Dance crew. The Eliminate. I came up with the name when we first started and I have to say we’re pretty damn good. We’ve won all of the local competitions and the most important one, Harlem S!ng. The biggest deal ever if you’re a Street crew in the Manhattan area.

“Hey, Jess. You were supposed to be here 5 minutes ago.” Damien said. He was the leader who started us.

“I had to lie to my parents. You know how much they would flip if I told them. They’re uptight ballerinas.”

“Got that right. And a one, two, three, four.” Riley started humming the nutcracker and flailing her arms. We all burst out laughing.

                There are seven of us. Damien, the leader, Riley, Cam, Jacob, Sasha, David, and me, the secret weapon. The best of the best in Harlem.