Lilo :: Leaving on a Jetplane

Liam's hands shook as he reached out to knock on Louis' door. He knew Louis would open up all happy and cheery, already knowing it was Liam and that he could finally see his boyfriend again.

"Liam!" Louis immediately flung himself into Liam's arms, wrapping his own arms tight around the younger boy. Liam gave a half-hearted smile, blind to Louis as Louis wasn't look at his face.

"I'm so happy you're back." Louis said, and Liam's heart skipped. He wished he come earlier in the morning- when Louis was already grumpy so he wouldn't have to see Louis' spirit break.

"Liam?" Louis pulled back frowning, concerned that Liam hadn't said anything yet. He noticed the bags at Liam's feet and the look on his face, and the light is Louis' eyes flickered off.

"What-what's going on?" Louis' heart filled with hope that Liam was coming to move in with him, and he let a tiny smile tug on the end of his lips, though he tried not to show it. "Did your parents kick you out?"

"No, actually." Liam said, shuffling a bit. "My parents kicked us all out." Liam frowned. "We're, eh, me and my family are moving. To America. We're moving to America."

Louis' tiny, invisible smile dropped. His stomach dropped. Everything just dropped and Louis' eyes filled with horror and tears and he finally noticed the car running outside of his house. Liam's car.

"Wh-what?" Louis breathed out, his shoulders going limp from the tense state they'd previously been in. "You can't- you can't move! Li-Liam, that's not fair. You're-you're almost eighteen, I-"

"I know." Liam glanced down as tears filled his eyes. "But I'm not eighteen yet and I can't go where I was legally, not unless my parents let me. They're moving because they don't want me with you and I don't have much of a say against that."

"No! That's not fair!" Louis glanced behind Liam's shoulder, wishing he could walk over to the car sat in front of his house and strangle both of Liam's parents. "They can't take you away from me."

"I wish they couldn't." Liam whispered, looking down at his hands. He finally let all of his tears fall- let them all flow out at once and he sniffled, shattered inside even though he promised himself he would be strong for Louis.

"Liam," Louis whimpered. He pulled Liam into another hug, hugging him tight and wishing he never, ever had to let go. Liam buried his face in Louis' shoulder, feeling Louis' tears hit the back of his neck.

"I'm so sorry." Liam said, blinking his tears out of his eyes. He let Louis hold him, let himself practically suffocate in Louis' tight grip.

Louis swallowed down the lump in his throat, sniffling loudly. "It's not your fault, Liam. I'm-I'm sorry for not-not being what your parents wanted me to be. I'm so, so sorry."

"It's not your fault." Liam said the words as if it were a promise. A promise that Louis had done nothing wrong and he was perfect and Liam's parents just didn't want Liam to be gay.

"I don't know when I'll be back." Liam said, pulling away from the hug Louis had him crushed in. "I may never be back, but if I can scrape up enough money to come back to you, I'll be back."

Louis nodded. He would have said something but he couldn't. The lump in his throat was back, because he knew this was goodbye. "I want you to focus on moving on, Louis. I don't want you to be hung up on me, okay? I don't want you to have hope that I'll come back, because I may not be able to."

"I-I know." Louis croaked. Liam gave Louis a soft smile, pressing his hand to Louis' bicep. "I love you so much, Liam. I love you so much."

"I love you so much, too." Liam said. He leaned it to give Louis a goodbye kiss- a long, sweet kiss that would have been that way if Liam's mother didn't honk the horn, effectively breaking them apart after both of their bodies jolted in surprise.

Liam felt a sudden raging hate for his parents and he was about three seconds from chucking his bags off of Louis' porch and sending them flying through the wind-shield of his parents' car. But he didn't. He swallowed down his anger and gave Louis another soft smile. "I love you, Louis. G-goodbye."

"Bye." Louis whispered. Liam picked up his bags and walked off of Louis' porch, walking to his car without looking back. He threw his bags inside and ignored his parents, who were grumbling about Liam taking so long and for him to hurry up. He looked back at Louis, who was watching him go with broken blue eyes. He waved his last goodbye with a weak smile, waited for Louis to smile and wave back, then ducked into the back seat of his car, closing the door and buckling up as his parents drove off quickly- escorted Liam out of his familiar, lovely life.