Chapter 2

So obviously, Nick was right about the 'bottom of food chain' status when he walks in, carrying a huge pile of papers. I was doodling on my notepad when I look up, expecting to see those familiar blue eyes again. Instead, I see a mop of brown hair and those thick rimmed glasses on his face, covering his eyes.

How can he even see like that?

Mr. Blimley says something to him and he nods, eager to get away from him. I would be too, if I were him.

He staggers across the room to take his seat in the first row, next to the window.

"See?" Nick poked me with a pencil. "Smarty-pants," he sniggered.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I was never more glad to get out of the classroom. Twice I had to jab myself with a pen to stay awake. The rest bolted immediately when the bell for lunch rang. I gather my books and walk over to my locker, which Diana was leaning on.

" Hey, pretty," I winked at her. She's beautiful as usual. Her dark blonde hair was tucked back in a neat ponytail, and today she's wearing sapphire earrings that matches her eyes. " Hey, handsome," she chuckles. I like it when she chuckles like that. It radiates happiness I couldn't find in my own family.

She hooks her arm around mine and we stroll to the cafeteria. I caught the scent of heather and spring flowers in the hair. "Your hair smells nice," I commented.

"Flattery is not enough to please the lady," she says sacarstically.

Today the cafeteria is serving apple crumble and meat loaf. Diana pushes the meat loaf away, repulsed at the sight of it. I might want to add that Diana is a strict vegetarian. She picks at the salad instead.

"So," she turns around, locking her beautiful eyes on mine. " Are you coming around tonight? Mom says she'll gladly cook if you are."

It takes me awhile to see that Diana's eyes are the same, mesmerizing sky blue.

"Yeah, if that's alright with you," I say absentmindedly.

She snaps her fingers in my face, startling me. "You look dazed today, lack of sleep?"

" I'm fine." I gave her a small smile and lead her to our usual table, the unofficial 'popular' table. We put our trays down.

"Say," I start with the apple crumble. " Do you have a brother?"

" Yeah," she says, biting on a piece of lettuce. "He's in the same class as-"

"I can't believe you guys came without me!" a shriek. We turned to see Nick and his girlfriend, Cammie, walking towards us. " Mind if we disturb you love birds?" Nick grinned. " OMG, Diana you're a vegetarian? That totally explains your flawless skin," Cammie says in a high pitch voice. Diana smiles at her but didn't comment.

Cammie continues to shriek and giggle at everything we say for the next fifteen minutes. Diana gives me a withered look. "We've got to get going, classes are starting," I get up from my seat. " See you around dude." I punched Nick lightly on the arm. Nick looks at me helplessly, a big guy with a cheerleader girlfriend.

I shrug my shoulders and walk off hand in hand with Diana. She's never like that, my treasure. She's a year older than me, but she's smart and beautiful and caring. "See you at my house tonight, Vincent."

"Yeah," I say, tucking her hair behind her ear. She blushes, then walks off with a confident stride.

Yep, perfect.

I walk back to class alone, wondering if I should wear a suit to Diana's house tonight. To fit the image of a perfect boyfriend for a flawless girlfriend.