Chapter 10

I wake up to the sound of a quite beeping. Its the clock on the table next to my bed. I press a button to turn the alarm off. It reads 10:00. I turn my head to the side to see the peaceful figure of a sleeping Finnick. I remember what happened after we came back to my room once the interviews were over. I loved it. Just thinking about it makes my heart flutter and get a warm feeling spreading through my body. This will keep me going through the games. Knowing that if I am the one to come out I get to have this for the rest of my life. Oh and I said I'd do it for Rowan. I stare at his face, so smooth and young. The lines that have been formed from the tormenting nightmares aren't there. The price I'll have to pay. You see, Finnick says you never really leave the arena, it's all ways there. The first kill and the last kill are the ones that hurt the most. His eyelashes are so long and beautiful. His ash blonde hair. The way it falls across his face. I take the time to study him. Knowing it could be my last chance. Suddenly his eyes flick open to reveal the sea green iris that lay behind. He turns his head to me.

"Last night was great"

"Defiantly. I can just think of it and it will keep me sane. Keep me happy" I say , I go to touch my locket but it's not there. it was last night.

"Annie, it's gone for inspection. You will get it back before the launch" Finnick tells me, seeing the panic set on my face.

"Oh. When did they take it?"

"After you went to sleep, someone came and knocked asking for your token, so I had to give it to them"

"Okay" I say.

The next hour is a blur. I dress in a simple combination of black skinny jeans, a pale pink shirt and a pair of baby pink baseball boots. I leave my hair down, it still hold the curls put in it yesterday. I don't see the point in making an effort, I am only going to be put in some outfit, designed for the arena. Each tribute will be dressed in exactly the same clothes as to make it fair. At 10:50 I am taken to the hover craft by Thernia after saying my last goodbyes to Finnick, and transported to the arena. A woman comes around the hover craft injecting something into all the tributes forearms. Thernia explains it is my tracker, so they can keep an eye on where about we are in the arena and tell what our physical condition is, and tell whether we are dead or not I add on as an after thought.

We land and are escorted by four peacekeepers to my launch room. It is a plain white room, with a small blue settee and table laden with food. Next to the launch tube in the centre of the is my arena outfit. It is a pair of white furry boots, a thick waterproof hooded jacket, a pair of waterproof trousers and a black shirt. By the look of it the arena is going to be cold.

"11:00. One hour until launch" a voice says over the speakers.

I spent the next hour eating and sipping plenty of water.Thernia brushes my hair and delicately puts it up into one fishtail plat running down the the center of my hair and secures it with two bobbles. Just incase one snaps. I think its because they make excellent weapons. A few years ago a girl used one as a slingshot for a poison laced dart and killed her victim. They were small enough not to be felt as the enter the body and killed them within the hour, long enough for her to get away and not be caught. She went on to become Victor. When there is  only twenty minutes until the launch I start pacing back and forth, that is until Thernia tells me to sit. I do and just fidget instead. My heart is pounding and I am shaking by the time there is a knock and the door by a peacekeeper to hand over my token.

At ten minutes I get changed into my outfit, and make a quick dash to the loo. At five I get Thernia to put my necklace on for me. Then at two she shoves an apple and an orange in my pocket. At one I down the last remaining dregs of coffee before standing in the tube at 30 seconds. At ten seconds Thernia wishes me good luck and the tube closes. The count down gets to zero and I can feel myself being pushed up. After a moment of darkness I can feel myself emerging into the arena. As soon as our plates lock into place the sixty second count down begins. Step of the plate before the sixty seconds and the mines blow you sky high.

I take this time to scan the arena. It is quite warm, yet there is snow everywhere. The cornucopia is in the middle of the ring of tributes. By my feet is a small first aid pack to fit round a wrist. But as you get closer the goods are better. A large back pack, holding who knows what, a knife, a spear then in the mouth is an array of weapons, machetes, axes, tridents, crates of food, sleeping bags. Basically everything needed to survive in this deadly place. Over to my left I can hear running water. I look and see a huge damn, at least 500ft high. Creating the valley we are in the centre of. Surrounding us there is a green forest that sounds full of life, a place that hides mutts of who knows what creation. But perfect for game.  How I'll catch it I don't know. But I've got the crates of food instead. To my right is a waste land of nothing but a thin bit of forest and beyond is a steep mountain.

The timer is down to ten. I brace myself to run. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Zero. I run.

----------------------------------

40 votes until chapter 11, please :)

Love Em x