Chapter 1

I wake and roll over its still dark out so there are still a few hours until the reaping, it's at 10. It's quite early because we are one of the first districts, so we get ours completed sooner than the others also because most years there are a lot of volunteers it makes it a longer process. I start getting nervous so I get up and go to the only person who I know can calm my nerves. Finnick Odair, his house in the Victors Village. I quickly get dressed and creep out the house grabbing a bread roll that's tinted slightly green.

There aren't many people around, most people tend to stay inside on reaping day, wishing their kids good luck on the day any one boy and any one girl could be picked sent off to the capitol and made to fight to the death in an arena until one Victor remains. You wouldn't believe me if I told you we, in district 4, find it an honour to be picked. We are trained from the moment we can walk, to fight and to do brutal damage with a weapon. Usually it's a tribute from Districts 1, 2 and 4 that win, however there are some years we don't. Though we train for this doesn't mean we are going to win, it does still mean the reaping's scary, just not as scary as the other districts find it.

I make way to the pier which is where the Victors Village is located. I find his house which isn't that hard for me, I go there almost every day. I knock lightly on the door then let myself in. Finnick is already up, and searching the cupboards for some breakfast. He must have heard me come in because before I can even say 'Hi' he spins around and embracing me, nearly knocking me off my feet. He holds me tight and plants a kiss on my forehead. I go up on my tiptoes and place a kiss on his lips. It lasts a long time, and shares all the things we want to say but can't put into words.

"Want some breakfast?"

"Of course, I do! Since when have I ever declined breakfast made by the famous Finnick Odair?"

"Ha-ha. That would have to be never, what shall it be? Porridge? Pancakes? Omelette?"

"Hmm well it will have to be Omelette. See if it's better than last time. Or will you need my help again?"

"I might need your help Annie"

"Thought so, you are a useless cook, that's why I have never declined a breakfast made by you because I've never actually had one."

"Whatever, well they are partially made by me anyway. I just shouldn't be left alone in the kitchen."

We make breakfast and I stop Finnick putting in the wrong ingredient several times. Seeing as making omelette is such an easy process, I'm surprised at the number of mistakes he manages to make, even though I've seen it all before, it happens every time he tries to cook. In the end we manage to make some somewhat decent breakfast. We eat it slowly chatting about what the outcome of today's reaping might be. We get onto the subjects of last year's tribute and how the boy with the broken leg and the girl with mental issues were never going to win; they surprised us and made it to the final five. I notice the time and there's only one hour until the reaping.

I quickly take a shower in Finnick's very own capitol style showers with lots of different settings and fragrances to choose from. I choose lavender for my body and cherry blossom for my hair. I get out and get dry, I don't bother with my hair there's no point drying it looks much better just to leave it to dry itself and a lot easier to manage. I race back down the stairs where Finnick is already dressed in his trademark half buttoned up shirt showing off his bronzed skin and 6-pack, with a pair of dark denim jeans. He's got the woven bracelet which was the token I gave him from District 4 when he was picked for the Games five years ago. As far as I'm aware he never takes it off. He looks so handsome; no wonder the ladies in the Capitol are after him. Then there's the one person he settled for, me. The child with nothing that makes people turn their heads and think that I'm pretty. I don't usually wear any pretty stuff, yes, I can afford it but it would just get wrecked when making the fishing nets. The girl with dark brown wavy hair and emerald green eyes. The girl who he saved from drowning in the sea when he was just 9 years old.

"I got to go Fin. My reaping clothes are at home."

"Okay. I'll see you at the reaping, then again in a few weeks"

"Yeah, sure" I say with a frown

"Annie, don't get upset. You know I hate going to the Capitol"

"It doesn't seem that way on the telly though"

"Come on, you know that's just for the cameras. I assure you I spend every second wishing I was back here with you. Now chin up, it's only for a few weeks"

"I know Finnick. I suppose you're definitely coming home unlike some. I love you"

"I love you too. Now go before your parents kill me for making you late to the reaping"

I plant a kiss in his lips and race out the door. I can't let him see me cry, I'm stronger than that. I almost run home and the people milling about are the only reason I don't burst into tears. I can hear my parents are up and about so I go straight inside and up the stairs to my room. Only when the door is shut do I let my tears fall. I and can't let them see me cry either. They will think I'm a weakling, as an unspoken rule in District Four unless you want to be seen as feeble; crying is only permitted when a relative or close friend dies.

There's a set of clothes already laid out on my bed. My reaping clothes for this year, kept secret from me until today. Reaping day is like a birthday, you get a present, usually a new set of reaping clothes. It's an emerald green blouse with a pair of black jeans and a black jacket, my shoes are green dolly shoes with a small lace bows on the front. I put them on and look in the mirror the blouse is soft on my skin and really brings out my eyes. That is the only thing I hate about it, every year I always go to Reaping day with and item of emerald green on. Last year I wore a green dress with a pair of black suede shoes which had dark emerald ribbons to tie over the top of my foot.

I check the clock, only ten minutes before we all have to assemble in the main square that's only just big enough to fit the whole 10,000 children eligible to be chosen for the reaping in. Everybody else has to wait in the streets coming off it, and watch the screens set up by the state to see which children are picked for Hunger Games.

I quickly tie up my hair with a black ribbon that is on my desk before heading down stairs to the sitting room where my parents are.

"Annie, you look beautiful" my mum says

"Like always" adds my dad

"Thanks Mum, thanks Dad"

"Can I just ask one tiny thing?"

"Sure sweetheart" Dad says

"Next year can I not have emerald and black themed reaping outfit?"

"What? Don't you like it?"

"Yeah, it's beautiful, but I'd preferred to of had something different, I've had emerald and black for the past five years"

"Well then, if that's the case you can sweetie, anything for my daughter"

"Thanks Dad, you know I love you two"

"Come on Annie; let's get down to the square. I don't want to be late."

We walk to the square and I go to the peace keeper to take my blood sample, it's a way for the Capitol to keep tabs on how many kids are in each district. I go to the area for the female 16 year olds. It's set out so that the oldest kids are at the front, girls on one side boys on the other and the youngest at the back.

The square is almost full when the clock strikes 10 and the District 4's escort walks on stage

"Hello, welcome to the reaping for the 70th Annual Hunger Games. I'm Lavina and the escort for this year Hunger Games, may the odd be ever in your favours." She starts droning on about the history of Panem, I zone out. I could probably recite this in my sleep. The video played every year is projected on the big screens I catch Finnick in the eye and mouth to him the first line of the film 'War, Terrible War' he smirks. The stupid woman starts talking again "As usual ladies first."

She places one sea green gloved hand into the glass bowl and routes around for a minute, finally she grasps one of the tiny slips of neatly folded paper, which may contain any one of the girls' name in our district. She walks over to the microphone and slowly unseals the tiny piece of paper and after what could feel like a century reads out a name.

"Annie Cresta!"