Cool Down

Ector laid there in bed, his head was pounding and the rest of his body felt as if he was hit all at once with a sledgehammer. He knew he had gone into another blood wrath, but he din’t know how many had been hurt, or killed. He prayed silently that his knights and friends made it through alive, but he didn’t want to ask and find out if those prayers were answered.

A door opened and Ector saw Gwynever come into the room. She had a few towels hanging on one arm and a bowl of food in the other. “I thought you may want something to eat.”

“I’m not in the mood for food, thank you,” Ector replied.

“If it helps, none of your knights died in the fight. They’re a little sore, but they’ll live. Though you did give Lancelot quite a scare.”

“How come?”

“You almost sheared through his head with Excalibur.”

“Oh God!”

“Oh never you mind, he’s all right. He’s definitely better than what you did to Sir Kay.”

“What did I do to him?”

“You threw him into a section of the wall, and some knights had to pull him out of there.”

“Good Lord!”

“Oh he’ll be fine. Sir Gareth did worse when they used to joust. Tis’ beter than what you did to Lady Catelin.”

“Oh no no no no no.”

“Aye, she thinks some of that foam you were producing landed on her dress.”

“…Come again.”

“You slathered on her dress. Don’t know how that happened. She was at least a hundred feet away from you when you went into the rage. I think she just wants some attention from you if you ask me.”

“Well, where are the other knights?”

“They’re in the Hall with the Round Table.”

Ector lifted himself off of his bed. Gwynevere looked at him as if to tell him to stay in bed, but she simply grabbed one shoulder and helped him walk to the Great Hall. Inside all the knights from Camelot and Gorm’s retinue were strewned about the room. Sir Culwech, Breunor and Ulrich were lying on top of the table slab. Gorm was resting in Sir Gawain’s old seat. Some of the knights and Vikings were lying on the floor while the rest were standing, tending to their wounds.

“Mary, mother of God!” said King Ector.

Sir Ector turned to the king, “Oh good, the king is awake. Now he can finish killing us.”

Sir Ulrich, not even lifting his head said, “Could you kill me first, my king? I’d rather get it done and over with. And please don’t eat me when you’re done.” He turned to King Ector, “It’s a particular concern that I have.”

King Ector shook his head in disbelief as he looked to the care of his men. Lady Catelin walked into the hall as Ector was treating Sir Bedivere. Ector turned to the lady and said, “I see you’re wearing a new dress.”

“Yes my liege, I’ve been treating a few of Morgan’s knights. Some had limbs pointing in direction I never thought possible. And one man’s intestine was tied up into a bow knot.”

Ector stared at Catelin, “You’re making that up.”

“I speak the truth, it was a true knot. It took almost an hour to cut it out and link the innards again.”

Ector turned to Merlin, “I thought that was impossible.”

“Magic can be a lovely tool when you don’t worry about being burnt at the stake.”

“They don’t do that here?”

“Well yes, but these people could never find one who actually used magic.”

“Tell me they use the duck theory.”

“No, rabbit.”

Ector turned back the Catelin, who was enjoying the banter between the king and his mage, “How did Morgan’s knights fare?”

“Let’s just say that most of the survivors have left the castle for less hostile settings, and masters.”

“Is that good or bad.”

“I know not my lord, I didn’t have a chance to ask them.”

Ector cursed under his breath. Catelin asked, “Did I offend you?”

“No no, I just don’t like not knowing things sometimes. You’re fine. Oh sorry about your dress.”

Catelin had to think for a moment, “Oh that dress. No, that was stained after I helped with the knights in the arena, I just made the jest to help lighten the mood. Many people were worried what with the events of the day.”

“Yeah I can understand that. How have things gone over in the court.”

“At the court, you mean, Ector.”

“Whatever the hell you guys call it.”

“Nothing from what I’ve been able to gather. In fact, some people were happy to see Morgan squirm a little when her favorite knights were being beaten with their own limbs.”

“I did that?”

“To a couple. And one you took down when you hit the horse with the broadside of a halberd.”

“Did the horse live?”

“Surprisingly yes, though the rider wasn’t so lucky.”

“But the horse is all right?”

Catelin turned to Merlin, “Is like this about all animals.”

“Most of them,” replied the Mage. “Though the furrier the beast, the more he is to show compassion.”

“Maybe I should…”

Ector quickly interrupted, “No! Don’t even think about it.”

Catelin laughed, she couldn’t finish speaking as she doubled over. Ulrich turned to Sir Culwech, “It wasn’t that funny.”

“Then you get up and tell her.”

“…I think I’ll pass.”