The Rise of Lady Catelin

As the sun etched across the sky, Lady Catelin stood upon the parapet of the north wall of Camelot. Reddish hair blowing in the wind, she felt the cool breeze caress her soft skin, cooling the fire in her heart. Her lady in waiting, Sarra, walked up to her, “My lady please, your father beckons you to the king’s throne room.”

“I will not be used by my father as a tool for his own gains! Besides, he’d rather his younger fools take the role of the king’s concubine,” the venom seeped from Catelin voice.

“But my lady, you must not say such things about…”

“And why not, you and I are no more equal than we are to a chair or a parcel of land. We are the modes of means for men who care for their horde of gold, and we are to accept this without any say or objection?”

“That is the way of things my lady, they cannot be changed.”

“That is only because so many do not want it to change,” Catelin leaned against the parapet, as if she wanted to fly away from the world that bound her to such a fate, “I feel as if I am one against a sea of millions with no one who understands my lot in life.”

“…You know better than to say that, my lady. You’ve seen how my marriage with the captain of your father’s guards has gone.”

“Yes, and you were lucky. I knew many wives who hated their husbands and some even conspired to gain their new found liberties.”

Before Sarra could respond, the two women heard loud talking coming from another doorway leading to the garden. They hid behind a large bush that concealed their presence.

“That was the worst, god awful, piece of shit I have had the displeasure of taking part in! Don’t you ever put me through that crap again!” said one voice.

Catelin turned to Sarra whispering, “Who is that man shouting?”

“I think that’s the king,” replied the maiden.

“But my lord, you have to chose a wife to be your queen,” replied one voice.

“Sir Palamedes is right,” said another, “And you cannot go about this fantasy that you keep claiming.”

“I am in a relationship, and her name is fucking Cecilia! So treat her with some damn respect!”

“Ector, you can’t expect a whole kingdom to accept the idea that their king is married to a ghost.”

“She’s not dead Merlin, all right. You even said it yourself, she just needs a new body, that’s it. One good swipe of the sword and presto, she’s back on her feet again.”

A female voice spoke to Ector, “Ector, you have to see the truth of the matter.”

“I am the king! Am I not entitled to feel the joy of love from the woman I adore? Am I to sacrifice the one thing that’s kept me going since I came here? What right do I have to marry someone, when my own heart does not truly belong to hers?”

Catelin watched the mage Merlin approached the king fatherly, “Son…the chances of a life between you and Cee are not very good.”

“That’s why we try harder. That’s why we fight on,” Ector said desperately.

Cecilia spoke to Ector with remorse, “Ector, our love is never going to be beyond the dreams that we have. They’re beautiful dreams, wonder dreams. But they’re simply dreams.”

“Cee…”

“No Ector. You can’t hold onto what isn’t there.”

Ector lowered his head in defeat, raising it up to show the tears running down his cheek. “All right, you win. Can I be alone for while? I need some time to think.”