(5) Gone

Blood. Teeth. Screams.

The images and sounds replay over and over in my head as I dream.

Blood. Teeth. Screams.

I startle awake with a shriek bursting from my lips. I glance around the unfamiliar room—the soft blue walls, the beige carpets, the white comforter covering my body. I sit straight up, pulling the blanket up to my chin as if it will be some sort of barrier to whatever torment is waiting for me.

A familiar face fills the open doorway, sending my hammering heart into a calm pitter-patter in my chest. I breathe a sigh of relief as Cody enters the room, his wide eyes searching.

"What is it?" Cody asks, scanning over my face. "Are you okay? I heard you scream."

"I'm alright," my voice cracks as I nod my head. "I just..." I trail off, not wanting to bring everything back into my mind. My tongue is like sandpaper in my mouth. "Do you have any water, by chance?"

I fling the comforter off of my body, the air feeling much cooler than it should. Cody's cheeks redden as he quickly looks away from me. I glance down at myself and realize why Cody is blushing, why I am cold. I am practically naked.

"Oh my God!" I yell, whipping the comforter back across my body. "How—who—did you?" I can't even form the right question, I am so flustered.

"I'm sorry," Cody said, the blush still filling his cheeks. "You were covered in blood and I thought you would feel better if you woke up with it gone." He places his hand against his chest. "I didn't do it. I asked Selma to do it." Selma? Who is Selma?

It won't matter anyways after I flashed my body at him, but I admire his attempt. He turns around and walks back through the door, popping his head back through the doorway before leaving completely.

"Stay here," he says. "I'll bring you some water and some clothes." Then he is gone.

"Thank you," I reply, even though he can't hear me.

I stand from the bed, dragging the comforter off with me. Wrapping it around my shoulders like a cloak, I go to the window. I take a deep breath, knowing I shouldn't look out there because it might send me right back to where I was before I passed out, but I have to know.

I slip my fingers between the blinds and pull them apart, peeking out through the slit. I'm not sure what I expect—cars and houses on fire, herds of crazies screaming down the street, total carnage? The fact that the streets are eerily empty is even scarier. What happened to the destruction and chaos I had witnessed?

There is a car across the street with its door open. Blood is smeared along its side and splattered on the windows. A few bodies lay in front lawns, only fragments of them left in the grass. My vision scans down the line of familiar houses until they land on Adriana's home.

My car still sits untouched in her driveway. My eyes trail just a bit farther and I jump away from the window with the gore seared into my brain. I close my eyes, hoping to unsee the remnants of Adriana's body scattered around her yard.

I bring my trembling fingers to my lips. It all must be a dream, a horrific nightmare. Soon, I will wake up back in my bed and everything will be back to normal. A scream lodges itself in my throat, trying to claw itself out. I swallow, but it doesn't help.

"You okay?" Cody's voice echoes in the room. I spin around to face him, spying a glass of water in one hand and clothes tucked under his arm.

"I'm fine," I croak, reaching for the glass. I tilt my head back, letting the cool water run down my throat. The glass is empty when I hand it back to Cody. "Thank you."