Chapter 6 (original version)

Quick and very important note: From this point on, the chapters will be from my ORIGINAL version of Infection. Please note that the only major difference is instead of a house, the survivors are in Rich's cellar/bunker. They've also learned to kill a zombie, it has to be to the brain. The story picks up after a night of sleep in the bunker. As you read this on, please remember that this draft was written in 2009 when I first started writing as a teen. Believe me, I know there are errors and I know how terrible it is, so if bad writing bothers you, I recommend waiting for the fully-rewritten version.

*Even though I was embarrassed at first to keep my old work up for readers to see, it was important to me to show readers how far I've come and how far anyone can come with practice. Happy reading!*

#

I knew I was dreaming when I was riding in a car.  I stepped out of my friends car, dismissed the dog that was barking with a wave of my hand, and walked to the front door of my house. 

I took a step inside the door and was blinded with lights that suddenly flicked on above me.  In the archway to the living room stood my mom and dad.  I realized that this was a replay of what had happened the night before. 

 Mom had her arms crossed across her chest, still in her clothes that she wore to work, and I could tell that she was real pissed off.  Next to her, and slightly behind her, stood Dad leaning against the archway.  He had changed into his PJs and he looked more worried than mad.

I felt my body sway with drunkenness and my eyes squinted in the bright light.

"Lucy!" I imitated an accent.  "I'm home!"  I lifted my arms in the air and gave a big smile to my mom.

"Where have you been?"  Mom said deeply, her eyebrows cocked up.  "It's 2 o clock in the morning.  Your curfew is midnight." 

"Well, it's midnight somewhere,"  I said turning to walk to my bedroom. 

"Desiree,"  Mom said more sternly.  "We aren't done talking.  I know you'e been drinking."  She took a step closer to me.  "I can smell it on you."

My stomach started to churn from the whiskey shots I'd had earlier that night.  "Okay."  I pointed at her.  "Yeah.  I need to lay down."  I stumbled as I turned back around and my shoulder slammed into the wall.  I belt of laughter erupted from my throat.

"Desi--" Mom started to yell.

"Lucy,"  Dad said loudly.  "Stop it.  Let her go to sleep and we will talk to her in the morning."

"No,"  I heard Mom start stepping towards me.  She grabbed my arm.  "We will handle this now."

"Don't be such a bitch,"  I whispered as my face went cold with sweat.  Her jerking me around made me feel sicker.

"Lucy!"  Dad yelled and Mom let in a quick gasp.  "I said to stop it!"  She let go of my arm.

"Screw you, Hoyt!"  She shoved her hand in his chest and stomped off the kitchen.

I turned to look at Dad.  His eyes were serious.   He walked up to me and wrapped me up in a hug.  Then I knew I was dreaming again because I heard a snarl start to rise in his throat.  He leaned back and looked at me with bleeding black eyes and bit my face.

I woke up sweating. Cody snored lightly behind me. I slid myself out of his arms and stumbled around trying to find the door in the darkness. I finally found it and opened it slowly so that it didn't creak.