17. Hindi matanggap

I woke up in a very dark room. I wasn’t tied up and all but I could feel the gunshot in my leg aching like there’s no tomorrow. I don’t know if I should be thankful for still being alive or if I have to regret that I’m still alive. Alam ko, kung sinuman ang gumawa nito sa akin hindi siya titigil hangga’t humihinga ako.

I heard some footsteps. Hindi nagtagal ay bumukas ang pinto ng silid na iyon at lumiwanag ang buong paligid. I was sitting on a chair in the middle of the abandoned gray room. I looked up and there I saw three Consunjis in a three piece suit – both devils, both looking at me like they wanted to skinned me alive.

Sancho, Lukas and Adam Consunji.

“So glad you’re awake.” Said Lukas. May hawak siyang baril at titig na titig sa akin. Adam Consunji had a very dark expression. Alam ko na lahat sila ay isa lang ang gustong mangyari – ang mawala ako sa mundo.

“Sancho, we’ll leave you with him.” Adam Consunji said. Sancho Consunji looked at his brothers. Lukas gave Sancho the gun he was holding and the two left the room. Naiwan ako sa loob ng silid na iyon na kasama si Sancho Consunji, nakatali sa silya at dumudugo ang sugat.

“I had been dreaming about his moment,. Demitri.” He said like he was about to pull the trigger of the gun he was holding. Hindi ako natatakot, kung mamamatay ako ngayon, so be it. Mas gusto ko pang mawala na lang basta kaysa ang makita ang taong nagturo sa aking magmahal na kasama ng iba.

“Are you going to kill me?” I asked. I was catching my breath.

“For what you did to my little girl, yes I will!” Bigla na lang niya akong sinuntok sa pisngi. Pumutok ang labi ko. I wanted to stand up and fight him. I was trained by my father. I am a Greek soldier by blood and by beliefs.

“Ang kapal ng mukha mo!” Sigaw pa ni Sancho sa akin. “Galit ka sa pamilya ko then you should’ve come to me! But why did you have to hurt Yza?!” He was very mad. Hindi ako nagsasalita. It was never my intention to hurt her. I did that – I raped her because that moment all I had in my mind was to get even. His father took something away from me and I wanted to take something away from her – baluktot na paniniwala, oo pero ang gusto ko lang ay gumanti at ang makasama ang isang taong alam kong kaya akong mahalin at tanggapin.

Pero hindi ko nagawa. Instead of winning the war I started – I ended up losing just because I fell.  My baba was right – love can make a person weak. Hindi naman mangyayari sa akin ito kung hindi ako nahulog.

I sighed. Muli akong sinuntok ni Sancho sa mukha. The next thing I knew he pointed the gun at me.

“I could kill you with my own hands, Demitri. For hurting my little girl, for trying to kidnap my wife and for trying to break my family apart.” He said in gritted teeth. I sighed. I closed my eyes waiting for him to pull the trigger – I was waiting for my end and as I wait for my demise – a face flashed in my brain.

It was hers.

In my mind she was smiling. In my mind she was slowly materializing. Suddenly, I can hear her voice. She was calling me.

Hector…

I’ve always like the sound of my name from her lips. Kapah siya ang tumatawag sa pangalan ko, iba ang epekto sa akin. Para bang nasa tabi ko lang siya. Tuwing naaalala ko ang mukha niya – at ang mga ngiti niya – isang bagay na kahit kailan ay hindi niya naibigay sa akin ay gumagaan ang loob ko. With her in my mind I’m able to remember the things I thought I have forgotten already.

With her, I realized that I am a human being capable of feeling. I’m not some cold hearted animal. I’m not a demon. I maybe one – people thinks that I am a demon, that I should go to hell and just live there and be the king but I’m not. Kahit gaano ako kasama – I was able to realize that I am a human being because of her.