Meet The Parents

-Skylar's POV-

"Just admit you like him" Natalie cries from the couch. I was making dinner and seriously considering poising her right now.

"Why would I do that" I counter, already tired of this conversation.

"Because you do" she says easily. I roll my eyes and continue cooking.

"You want me to believe you know what I'm feeling when I myself don't" I scoff stirring the noodles for the spaghetti.

"You know you like him you just won't admit it because you're scared" she accuses. I think about what she says for a second. I really did know I like him but I kept telling myself I don't so it won't hurt as much when everything falls apart.

"I guess so. I just don't want to hurt him or get hurt again" I say draining the noodles and adding the sauce.

"Sometimes you just gotta risk it. You never know until you try" she argues.

Our conversation was cut short by the third youngest Captain ever and the reigning Rookie of the Year walking through the door. I shoot Natalie a "keep your mouth shut" look then make four plates of spaghetti and set them at the table. We all eat and talk about the games coming up. I hadn't been to one in a while but really wanted to come to one. I've been trying to go but the work keeps adding up.

"You should come to the Kings game" Jon suggests and winks at me. There's a loud thud followed by Jonny groaning while tugging at his leg. Patrick sends a glare and earns a "what" from Jon.

"What are you not telling me" I ask slowly not really sure if I want to know the answer. He sighs then sets down his fork.

"My family is coming to the game and they want to meet you" he says quickly never taking his eyes off the food. I raise a eyebrow and try to read his expressions.

"Why me" I question. He starts blushing and finally looks at me.

"I might have mentioned you a few times" he says and I smile.

"More like a few hundred times" Jon mumbles under his breath earning him another kick.

"We can talk about this later" I say causing Natalie to let out a "oooooooh".

We finish up dinner and I wash the dishes before we head to our respective rooms. "Listen, I was going to tell you I just didn't know how because I'm not really sure how you do with the whole family thing or if you would think it's too much too fast" he starts rambling. I put a finger to his lips and he finally stops.

"Pat, I'm not mad" I laugh and he visibly relaxes.

"Thank god. So you'll come to the game" he asks.

"Game? What game? No one has asked me to come to a game" I tease. He rolls his eyes but decided to play along by getting on one knee and opening a fake ring box.

"Skylar Davis, it would be an honor if you agreed to attend my game" he says failing to keep a straight face.

"How can I say no to such a great proposal" I laugh and he stands up.

We chill for a little but decide to go to for a walk around the city. He tells me about his family, all his sisters and his favorite memories with them. He talks about how much his mom still helps him and how his dad prepared him to become the best athlete around. I could tell he was trying to be careful around me but I honestly loved hearing about what a real family is supposed to be like. And he obviously loved talking about it. After a few hours of just walking and talking we head back to my place. He has a few road trips before the Kings game.

"I guess this is goodbye" he says throwing his hands in his pockets.

"I guess so" I reply. It's been almost 2 months and this never gets easier. I smile and open my arms for a friendly hug. He shakes his head and finally wraps his arms around me. We stand there for a few seconds, neither of us really wanting to let go quite yet.

"Don't miss me too much" he says letting go and I laugh.

"I can say the same to you" I smirk. We say our goodbyes and I watch him leave, wishing more than anything he could be mine.

As much as it sucks I kinda like when Patrick is gone because we talk a little more than usual. He knows as much about be as I will let him know and vice versa. I enjoyed sitting on the phone listening to him talk plus I could still get my work done.

"Skylar are you listening to me" Patrick wines from the other side of the phone.

"Yeah, Sharpy is a ass hole and Jonny won't get out the shower" I repeat back to him.

"Please stop studying. Your brain is going to explode" he says. The probability of that happening is zero.

"I'm doing this so when you come back I'll have time to meet your family" I explaining highlighting another section.

"Ugh fine, I still feel like your brain is going to explode" he sighs.

"That's improbable" I say shutting my book. It was 11 here and 12 in Pittsburg. They lost in OT to the Penguins and Patrick said it was my fault because I didn't watch.

"Well I'll let you go. I'll talk to you tomorrow Sky" he says.

"Okay Pat, see ya" I respond before hanging up. I would be lying if I said I'm not nervous. I think the world of Pat and I hope his parents think the world of me.