The Good 'Ol Hockey Game

-Patrick's POV-

I land in Chicago and am met with with my family. After I choke back tears and hug them all we head over to my apartment. I get settled in and find my mom in the fridge.

"I think we're in the wrong place. There's actually food in here" she yells pulling out containers of food. I roll my eyes putting them back where they were.

"Skylar made these and this is my dinner for like two weeks so hands off" I joke closing the fridge.

"Where is this miracle worker anyway" my sister Erica asks.

I shoot Skylar a text saying I'm home with the fam and she replies she'll be over soon. We all go to my living room and sit down. I warn them of the questions to stay away from and they all seemed to understand. There's a knock on the door and I get up to answer it, unaware my family tagged along. I swing open the door with a huge smile on my face and arms wide open.

"SKY" I scream and her eyes light up.

"PAT" she also screams and jumps into my arms. We do a little spin before she hops down and gives me a real hug.

"I've missed you so much" she says squeezing me tight. I take in her scent and let out a breath.

"I missed you so much" I whisper. Someone clears their throat and we separate. We both grow a blush and giggle a little.

"Umm guys, this is Skylar. Sky, this is my mom Donna, my dad Pat Sr., and my sisters Erica, Jessica, and Jacqueline" I say pointing to each one.

"You're like, so pretty" Erica says with wide eyes. I mentally face palm for forgetting to ask to refrain from embarrassing me.

"Me? Look at yourself! I love your hair" Skylar exclaims. My sister smiles and Skylar returns it.

"Well I, for one, am super excited to meet you. Patrick has not stopped talking about you he's in-" my mom starts.

"mooooom" I groan expecting more from her. My dad just laughs and I shake my head.

"Don't interrupt your mother" Skylar shuns me with her hand in her hips. Great, I have four sisters now.

"Respectful. I already like you" my mom says and Skylar looks at my mom.

"Can I hug you" she asks and my mom laughs. She opens her arms and Skylar walks in them.

"Oh my god. She's adorable" Jaqueline squeals and I smile. This... should be good.

We spent the afternoon talking. Skylar would ask questions and we would all answer. "You're a curious little one, aren't you" my dad asks. She laughs a little and nods her head.

"Yeah. I get that a lot" she says. "I like that" he smiles.

We continue to talk about hockey and I kinda watch it all happen. Skylar really seems to hit it off with Erica but is closest with my mom. My mom had already adored her, after this I'm going to be fighting my mom and school for her attention.

She goes home to change for the game and we all get ready too. "So, what do you think of Skylar" I ask a little nervous. My family means a lot to me but so does Skylar.

"She seems too perfect and that freaks me out" Jessica says first. I get what she's saying.

"She's been through something. I don't know what, no one around here does but whatever it is was terrible. She's better now and she's trying to focus on that" I say. I don't really know how to defend her without knowing what happened.

"Well she's doing a damn good job. If she was on Miss America she would win. Or at least have my vote" Jessica says with a laugh.

"Good job big bro, don't fuck it up" Erica says nudging me earning a gasp from my mom. Erica winks at me before going to change.

"You know I love her" mom says with a smile as my dad agrees from beside her. How much I wanted to make Skylar a part of this family was a lot more than I was willing to admit but I just have a feeling it's going to happen.

-Skylar's POV-

I had to run home to grab my jersey and a beanie because I'm a idiot and forgot to change after school. I quickly change and head to the UC to find Pats family in the concourse. I really hope they like me because I love them. They were a real wholesome family. They were like a well oiled machine. Something I could never have.

I arrive and find my seat next to the Kane's. "Skylar! Sit next to me" Erica cheers scooting down a seat. I smile and gladly sit next to her.

We talk about writing and college and I connect with her easily. She was so outgoing and her personality matched mine well. Eventually Donna comes and sits on the other side of me. I can tell Patrick talked to them because they always avoided personal questions which I was more than thankful for. Eventually I get to talk with Pat Sr about hockey. I've gotten to know the ins and outs and loved to hear from someone of his knowledge.

"So when Pat was little, well littler, did he out think or out skill the other players" I ask during the second intermission.

"A little bit of both. He always knew the game well enough to create plays in his head and predict what was next and his skill helped him execute it" he responds.

"That's incredible. He's going to do great things for the game. I know it" I say watching him warm up. He belonged out there.

"Can I ask you a question" Pat asks. I swallow hard and nod knowing that this won't end well.

"What do you see in Patrick" he asks. I raise my eyebrow and look into his eyes.

"You really want to know" I ask.

"Yeah, you're really smart and understand people well. I want to know what you think of my son, he can be a handful sometimes" he laughs.

"I think Patrick is going to be one of the greatest to ever play the game. The fact that he is never satisfied with himself proves he can always get better, and he will. He wants to be the best and I believe he will be. Maybe not this year or even next, he still has a lot to learn. But his passion will carry him far. He never stops talking about hockey, he loves the game and this team and will do anything to prove his worth. He's a guy you want to build a franchise off of. What he's going to do for the game, he's going to change it. And away from the ice he is the best friend I have ever had. He always lets me know he appreciates me when I need to hear it the most. He loves you guys like crazy and misses you all the time even though he won't admit it. I think Patrick has a lot of passion and love and determination and will be the future of hockey" I insist.

Patrick puts a hand on my shoulder and looks dead in my eyes. "That means everything to hear. It's so hard to let him go and do things on his own. That's my little boy. But to hear he's going good and has someone like you with him. It's all a father wants to hear" he says. Without a word I pull him into a hug and pat his back.

"I will do everything in my power to make him happy" I say.