[12] The Hooded Man

Chapter 12: Alright, Mr. Hood

“Who are you?” – he asked me, “And what are you doing here?”

I crossed my arms over my chest, “You do not need to know, and we are on a mission, so let us pass.”

Faramir stared at us, and then snapped his fingers, “Bind their hands!”

I was exhausted from the effort that I had used today, but I am still proud to say that I put up a good fight. In fact it took six people to finally subdue me, and tie my hands up. It then took another four to knock me out, so that they could get me back to their hideout.

I woke up and looked around. They had tied my hands together, but had left my feet untied. Angrily I tried to stand, and just about wrenched a disk in my back. The ****’s had tied me to a barrel of ale.

Oh well, it was fitting. I turned around, and began to work at my bindings. I worked for a couple minutes before I noticed that the top was off the ale barrel.

I leaned forward, but I just couldn’t reach the top. Angrily I yanked the bindings, and was pleased to find one of them come slightly loose.

I leaned over the bucket, and lapped up some of the ale. It was pretty tasty – the stuff that was held over for the military leaders. I took another mouthful, and swallowed it.

‘Yum!’ – I thought, and Fred piped up, ‘You drink to much!’

‘I do not!’ – I snapped back, then retaliated with, ‘You watch to much TV!’

Fred sounded aghast, ‘There isn’t much else for me to do!’

‘I don’t exactly have a ton of things to do either!’ – I snapped back, gulping another mouthful of ale.

Fred just snorted, ‘You could be trying to free yourself!’

I sat up, smacking my lips, and looked around. From what I could tell I was alone in the cave, so I had some time to get out. My bonds were a little looser, and I managed to get to my feet, hauling the ale barrel along behind me.

The stupid thing must have weighed about three hundred and fifty pounds, but I managed to drag it towards one wall of the cave.

I tripped though on the floor, and fell backwards, knocking the ale barrel over.

I frantically tried to catch the escaping fluid, but it was to no avail. I got to my feet, ankle deep in half the barrel of ale. It was considerably lighter though, only about one-hundred and fifty pounds, so I managed to pull it over the wall.

I rubbed the ropes against the wall, until finally they snapped. I got to my feet, and looked in the barrel. ‘They have enough to share!’ – I thought as I filled up my hip flask.

Fred snorted, ‘First you dump most of it, then you ruin their rope, and now you are stealing their ale? You really are becoming more evil!’

I shrugged my shoulders as I capped the flask, ‘They were the ones who tied me up!’

I crept to the opening of the cave and looked around. Sam, and Frodo were tied up in the other part of the cave. The only problem was the room was filled with people. I reached into my pocket and took out the lighter that Gandalf had given me a while ago. He had given one to everyone who smoked, he had invented it.

I picked up a stick off the ground, and lit it with the lighter. I made sure that it was on fire, and had no chance of going out. Then I threw it outside the cave, and watched as the bushes started to burn. All the people raced outside, trying to control the flames, and I crept over to where Frodo, and Sam where huddled.

I used my sword to cut the bonds that held their hands together and whispered, “Where is Gollum?”

Frodo whispered back, “He got away!”

I crept to the cave entrance and looked out, “Come on, it’s clear!”

We crept out the front of the cave, but suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder, I whipped around, but my arms were already pinned behind me.

‘Fred?’ – I asked angrily, ‘The reason you didn’t was? There had been a really good excuse!’

Fred sounded guilty, ‘Er. I wasn’t paying attention?’

I spun around to look at my captor.

Faramir looked back at me with an eyebrow raised, “Come with me!” – he growled pulling me by the arm.

“Alright, Mr. Hood!” – I snapped, because he did look like Robin Hood.

Faramir nodded at Sam, and Frodo to follow him back into the cave, while he dragged me along.

He slammed me into a chair and said, “Who are you? I am inclined to believe that you are Orc spies!”

I rolled my eyes, and he said loudly, “Speak!”

I explained to him our quest so far, as he leaned up against the far wall.

He pushed back his hood, and crossed his arms,

“Are you a friend of Boromir’s?” – he asked me.

I raised one of my eyebrows, and thought about the ring he had given me.

“Yes.” – I answered.

Frodo opened his mouth, but I shot him a look that said, ‘Stay quiet or die!’

Frodo clamped his mouth shut, and looked at the wall behind Faramir’s head.

Faramir looked from Frodo to I, and then back again.

“Where is the other creature that was with you?” – he asked me.

I thought quickly, “That is our guide! Your men scared him off!”

Frodo looked over at me, and I could that he had been going to say that he had no idea what Faramir was talking about.

“So,” – Faramir began, “You have the ring of power, and you are going to take it to Mordor, and drop it into Mount Doom?”

I nodded my head, daring him to oppose our plan,

“I can’t see Boromir jumping for joy over this,” – he said snorting.

“He wasn’t, but he knows that the ring must be destroyed, for the good of Gondor.” – I told Faramir.

Faramir clenched his jaw at the mention of Gondor, but then looked thoughtful.

He rubbed his hand with one gloved hand, before looking up at us.

“I have a proposition for you.” – he told me.