These Fists

The thunder crashed and broke through the silence and snores of the household. This didn't bother Lauren or her husband Zayn. They only held each other tighter as the storm outside raged on. Her usual position of her head on his heart was as calming as always, his heart maintaining a healthy beat, music to her ears.

Lauren was content. She was pursuing the career she loved, and loved; unconditionally, the man she was with.

He kept her safe. He slept on the side nearest to the door, with a bat underneath his side of the bed. He was ready to protect her if the time ever came.

Cries came the room across. Zayn woke with a start and winced at the sobs that pierced the air, coexisting with the snores of his wife and the thunder that crashed with urgency. Moving slowly, he lifted his wife off his chest and 'squeaked' as his feet hit the cold floors. He quickly tiptoed out of the room and into the little pink room.

Tsking, he walked to the crib, reached in and fished his little girl, Kara.

"Shh, baby, it's just a little bit of thunder, shh," he continued rocking the 6 month old child in his arms and placed kisses on the top of her head. The infant sniffled and curled in on her father, soaking in the warmth he had to offer, letting out little gurgles and coughs.

She fit into his arms perfectly, like she was meant to be there. Her head cocked to fit into the space of his neck as she drifted into a dreamless sleep. Though she slept, Zayn continued to rock her, he hummed a lullaby as well as sat in the rocking chair placed next to the crib and held onto his daughter.

"You know," he whispered, "When I was younger, I told your mum I would protect her. I promised to keep her safe. At first it was from those bullies in the internet, but then I told her I'd keep her safe from other things, like all those bad guys in comic books." he smiled. "Your mum is strong though. She can take care of herself. But I'll always take care of you. I know you can take care of yourself, you're like her, maybe even stronger.

"I'll protect you from all those boys who come chasing after you. God knows how many there'll be." he stared at the bundle in his arms, which now rested in the crook of his arms, neck supported by his elbow.

With one hand, Zayn went into the cupboard and lay comforters onto the ground of the pink room, he carefully placed the brunette baby onto a large pillow and slept next to it. He stared lovingly at the face of his angel and placed a kiss on her forehead as her hand wrapped around his pinky finger.

"These fists, they'll protect you, I'll promise you that."

Lauren found them both that morning, in different positions in which they fell asleep. Instead Kara had her body on her daddy's chest, one ear against his calming heart, and Zayn, with his hands on her back, ready to protect her.