Part XIX The Final Collide

Chapter 23: Battle of The Mountain

                                                                     -Samuel-

We woke early that morning, packed up camp, and headed for the mountain.  We traveled for a while, and the mountain came in sight as we made our way to the top of a hill.  We continued on until the mountain was a mere half mile away.  There, I stopped the army, and called everyone to assemble.

“We stand before our greatest battle to come.” I began.  “We stand before the home of the one who drove the human race nearly to extinction.  Draw your weapons.”  Everyone did as I had said with a puzzled look on their faces.  Natalie and Andrew were the only ones that I signaled not to.  “Now put your weapons into the ground.”  Again, they did as I had said.  I placed my shield into the ground.  “I cannot save you.  I cannot guarantee you will come out of this alive, and even if you do, you will not be the same.  Your skills will be tested, your courage attacked, and your bodies strained, but you decide whether you come out of this alive.  I have trained you to the best of my ability, and you have all become greater warriors than I could have ever hoped for.  Now is the hour of truth.”  I pulled my shield from the ground, placed it on my arm, and raised it into the air.  “If you are with me, free your weapons from the earth and show me you have what it takes to win this day!”

At first, silence.  Then, Jacob placed his hands on his swords and pulled them from the ground.

“If our God is for us, then who can stop us!”

Thomas pulled his warhammer from the ground.  “If our God is with us, then what can stand against us!”

A loud cheer rose from the army as they wretched their weapons free of the ground and raised them high.

“This day is ours!” I yelled.  “This day belongs to the people of Haven!”

The roar that the army made was so loud that I saw fires being lit on the mountain in response to the shouting.  The army finally quieted down a bit.

“Today, we win this world back for the human race.”

We marched until the mountain was within the range of our siege engines, and our attack began.  Large chunks of rocks flew towards the Darkstalkers, and I could see them mobilizing.  They began marching towards our forces, and soon they were at the base of the mountain.

“Rain fire!” I yelled to the siege engine commanders.

Flaming stones and burning arrows soon flew towards the Darkstalkers.  The fires hammered them, but they continued towards us.  We were outnumbered at least four to one, but our siege engines helped even the odds.  The Darkstalkers pushed ever closer, and soon catapults and trebuchets were not longer effective.

“Sam, Andrew, Natalie, you had best go find Arduthal.” Jacob said, drawing his swords, which I had just noticed were a strange emerald color.

“I’m leaving the army in your command.” I replied.  “Lead them well.”

We clasped arms, and he turned towards the Darkstalkers moving towards us.

“Charge!” he yelled, and the army rushed towards the Darkstalkers.

“Let’s go.” I said to Andrew and Natalie.

“It doesn’t feel right to leave them here.” Natalie said as we flanked the armies to get to the mountain.

“We have to trust that they can handle themselves.  Besides, we’ve been saying all this time that we’ve wanted them to be able to survive without us.  This is where we let go of their hands and let them take care of themselves.”