Part VII

“What happened?” I asked.

“Those creatures are onto us.  They’ll be here very soon.”

I looked to the horizon, and I could see the creatures.  They weren’t just a small band of four or five; they were a small army of at least two hundred.

“What are we going to do?” the scavenger asked.  “They’ll surely catch up to us.”

“We stand and fight, then.” Andrew stated.

“Are you crazy?  They’ve got so many!”

“You’ve got us.” I replied.  “We’ve been trained to fight.  Go into the building, and we’ll protect you.”

“You can’t kill all of them.”

“Yes, we can.  Now get everyone and everything inside.”

“Yes, sir.”

                                                                                  -Natalie-

Work went faster when the ground was wet, and the idea of running water gave the others plenty of enthusiasm.  It was a monotonous process, though.  Dig, rest, dig, rest.  As the day began winding down, we finished the work we were doing and returned to the village.

We had dug the waterway halfway down the mountain.  All that we had left to dig was the rest of the way down the mountain, about a quarter mile to the village, the distance through the village, and about a half mile to the nearest stream.

“When is the convoy supposed to return?” I asked Daniel.

“It is supposed to be back before sundown.” he replied.

“Why haven’t we see them on the horizon, then?”

“They may have been held up.”

I trusted him, but I still watched the horizon for their return.  The sun soon began to set, and still there was no sign of them.

"I can't just stand here and wait all night."  I finally said to Daniel.

"I agree.  I'm beginning to get worried." he replied.

“I’m going to go find them.”

“I hope you find them alive.”

“I will.  Don’t worry.”

“Take my horse.  He’s in the first stable by the eastern gate.”

“I’ll bring him back alive as well.”

“Thank you.”

Chapter 9: Darkstalkers

                                                                                -Samuel-

We waited and watched as the creatures moved ever closer.  We had created some crude fortifications that would give us some high ground to fight from, but we both were unsure of our chance of fighting off the horde that marched towards us.

“I wish Natalie was here.” Andrew said.  “I would like our chances a lot more if that were the case.”

“So would I, but she’s not, so we have to fight our hardest so she can see us again.”

“They stopped.”

I looked out towards the creatures, and I saw them simply standing in the distance.

“I wonder what they’re waiting for?” I questioned.

“Maybe they think they’ll have better chances of defeating us at night.”