Chapter 10

Chapter 10

    “Oh lord, not her again.” Saxon’s father wrinkled his nose at me as Saxon and I walked through the front door of his parent’s house again. I couldn’t say that I was overly excited to see the old man myself, but I didn’t verbally express my displeasure at having to deal with his judgments. “What are they doing back here again? It isn’t a holiday, is it? I didn’t think so. Now get that whore out of my house.” He was talking to his wife, who was helping us carry in some of our things since Saxon was told not to lift anything too heavy or to strain himself. I was so concerned that he was going to end up doing something that would rip his stitches open.

    Carla just rolled her eyes and then shot him the nastiest look that I had ever seen on an older woman’s face. “Oh, shut the hell up. Your son was stabbed and this nice young woman took care of him. Now, if you call her that again, I am going to make you sleep out in the shed. I swear to God, Victor.”

    His face hardened a bit as he saw us bring in the bags. “What the hell is all of this? Why are you bringing all of your luggage to my house? Are you wanting us to donate it all to charity for you? That better be what this is.” Victor grumbled and stood up, walking over toward us.

    “Father, we are staying here for a few days while the police look for the man who stabbed me. I thought you might be okay with this since I am your son, and I was almost killed. The man might still be looking for me. But, you know, if you don’t want me and my fiancé here, we can just go stay in a hotel.” Saxon’s voice went deeper with agitation, and he clutched my hand tighter. I could physically feel his anger in the air.

    Carla threw her hands up in exasperation. “No. You two will stay here with us in the guest bedroom. If your father has a problem with it, he can leave. Do you understand me? I need to make sure my baby boy is safe.” She reached out and hugged us both to her small frame, making me smile a bit.

    It was nice to see a parent that cared so much about her child. I never really had that growing up, but having a shitty parent was better than having noone at all. I smiled at Carla and Saxon, feeling guilty again that we were lying to her. She smiled back sweetly, genuine happiness on her face before she started speaking again.

    “Why don’t you both go upstairs to the guest bedroom? I bet you must be tired, Saxon. I will make lunch soon.” She coughed violently as she finished her sentence and closed her eyes as if she were in pain. I watched in silence, beginning to feel even worse.

    Saxon held my hand and smiled lovingly at his mother. “Alright, Mom. You should rest soon as well. I know you aren’t feeling that well.” He leaned in and kissed her on the cheek before grabbing his suitcase and leading me up the stairs with my suitcase in my own grip. He grunted quietly as he walked up the steps, surely hurting as his movements restricted him a bit. I gently let go of his hand and took his suitcase from him.