Chapter 19

Wooo!!! Wedding in chapter 20!!! But I am not even half way done with the story... o3o Oh well. Enjoy!

Chapter 19

The hair stylist Saxon had hired to do my hair for the wedding beamed down at me as she twisted my hair in a bun on the top of my head, allowing a few loose curls to come down and frame my face. I took in a shaky breath, unsure that I could go through with this. Here I was, an hour before the wedding, and I found myself wanting to back out. It wasn’t because I didn’t care about Saxon, but because of how angry his mother had been when she found out I was pregnant and hadn’t told her sooner. I could have killed my sister for running her mouth, but she disappeared into the night before the rehearsal dinner had ever even started.

Chewing at my bottom lip, I remembered the look of horror on Carla’s face. Sure, it was quickly taken over by excitement and happiness, but that initial reaction really stuck with me. She had been disappointed, and angry with me. I didn’t notice her treating Saxon any differently, but me? She hadn’t said a word since my sister spilled the secret.

“Scarlett, are you okay?” The hairdresser, Hannah, asked as she pulled away to admire her work. The Hispanic woman was beautiful, and sitting next to her made me feel a bit self conscious. How could I ever measure up to someone like that? What would happen to me if I fell for Saxon before we divorced? Could I pick up the pieces? Not to mention that if I fell in love with him, he would always be in my life since my baby was his.

I blinked away the tears that had suddenly pooled in my eyes and gave her a forced smile. “Oh, yeah. I am fine. Are we almost done?” She smiled gently and nodded, but you could tell she didn’t believe me about being alright. “Okay, then I am going to go into the bathroom and try to calm my nerves.” I didn’t wait for her response before I was up and out of the main part of the hotel room. Saxon thought it was necessary to get me a room in the grand hotel right next to The Gardens. I wouldn’t complain. It was his wedding day, too.

After taking a deep, not-so-calming breath, I looked up into the mirror to stare at the painted doll that just glared back. I think, somewhere along this winding road, I lost myself. How did I get here? What was so important that I could sell myself to the devil?

My sister.

I scoffed at the thought. My sister was the most important person in the world, yet when I needed her and her discretion, she reveals the one thing I didn’t want known. I wasn’t ready for Carla to know about the baby. Saxon and I couldn’t have hidden it for long, since I was about a month and a half along. So it wasn’t like we were lying. How is someone supposed to tell their dying mother in law that they were going to have a baby?

“God damn it.” I whispered into the air, the tears spilling down my face. I couldn’t do this. I needed out of this arrangement. Now. I liked Saxon, sure, but his mother was nothing but kind to me. I couldn’t just lie to her face anymore. I reached into the pocket of the silk robe I wore, since we were going to wait until the last minute to put on the dress. I dialed Saxon’s number and held the phone to my ear, waiting for him to answer.

“Scarlett?” I almost choked when I heard his voice through the phone, and my resolve wavered.