Chapter Two

For being the first to add this to her library.

                                                                                          ***

Diamonds dripped off slender collarbones, black silk swished and swayed, glimmering under the glow of a million lights. Music played a soft and sweet melody that soothed the ears after hours of earbashings. Glass tinkled as cheers were made. Cigar smoke curled under people’s noses, reeking of money and wealth. 

I laughed, throwing my head back at the nonsensical joke my client told. His arm curls around my waist as he guides us through the rows of rich bored gossips and their powerful husbands. Eyes trail afters us, woman studying the grace in which I move, the expensive material of my dress, the diamonds adorning my body.

Men stare on like vultures, their eyes burning the exposed flesh my little black dress gave them, the sway of my hips and bounce of my hair scrutinised by their hungry gazes. 

We finally stop at a table filled with woman and men secreting an aura of power. All eyes turn to us, absorbing in the sight before them. 

‘Good day, you all.’ My client says, pulling out a seat for me and helping me sit. I smile graciously up at him, the corner of my mouth rising in a suggestive smile, my eyelashes lowering ever so slightly as my fingers trace a seductive pattern on his arm as he sits beside me. 

‘Hello darling,.’ A woman says, her eyes throwing daggers in my direction. ‘I see you brought the lovely Rose with you today.’ 

‘Has there been a night where I haven’t brought her, sister dearest?’ My clients replies, dearest stressed on all too much as he glares right at his sister.

‘Touché, brother.’ She retorts, her eyes flying around the table as she draws in everyone’s attention. “I suppose,’ she says. ‘That I should introduce you all to my brother’s young lover, Rose.’ 

‘Yes,’ My client jumps in. I silently wish for him to shut up, knowing he would say something he regrets. He always did, I should know, I’ve been with him for two years now. ‘This is Rose, some of you may remember her from previous encounters. I know a lot of you disapprove of breaking the club rule and bringing outsiders into the club for dinner meetings but I don’t care about the bloody rule so please, before you go around complaining and reminding me about it, I already know. If you have something negative to say then we can take it outside.’ 

Silence falls over the table at my clients impulsive words. I reach out a hand and clasp his, hoping to bring him down from his frustration. He has always had a thing against the clubs rules, and most of the time he used me to help rebel against them. 

‘It’s okay,’ I whisper in his ear, using my free hand to caress the back of his neck. I massaged the tension away, ignoring the glances of the other people in the club dinner hall. 

‘Do you think that was a bit too much?’ He whispers back to me, his hand squeezing mine. 

‘Maybe, but they’ll get over it.’ I smile at him and he smiles back, planting a delicate kiss on my lips before returning his attention to the table. 

‘Well,’ He says to the captured audience. ‘Let us eat, I’m starved.’ 

I kissed my client goodbye, thanking him for the dinner and night out before slipping into my car and starting the ignition. I pulled out of the club parking lot, thankful that the night was over and I could get a good rest. The traffic was heavy in this area where all the rich and wealthy of Australia hung out, gambling and talking about finances and the latest stock rise. 

I slip away from the city central; escaping to the freeway up ahead that would take me in the direction of a good nights sleep. But unfortunately, luck wasn’t on my side. 

Up ahead, blue and red lights flashed, a squad car and booze bus parked to the side of the road. I moved to the left, flowing into the traffic as we all waited in line. So far, no one was called out their cars. 

I finally came to the front of the line, waiting for the officer to come around and give me a breath test. A head pops by my window, a familiar set of blue eyes and a warm smile that had me grinning in turn. 

‘Conner?!’ I exclaimed, delighted to see the familiar face. 

‘Well hello there, Ava. Wasn’t expecting to see you out here.’ He says, leaning casually against my car. ‘This yours? It’s a beauty. Although personally I’m not into Audis.’ He smiles at me, taking in my black dress and glittering diamonds. 

‘Night out?’ He asks. 

‘Work,’ I groan, reminded of the frustrating dinner and my clients wicked sister. ‘I though you were a constable?’ I asked, motioning toward the booze bus. 

‘They were short.’ He replies. ‘You had anything to drink tonight?’

I shake my head, ‘I only had a glass of champagne, but that was around ten. I prefer staying alert on the job.’ 

Conner smiles as his eyes once against take in my attire. ‘I don’t know what you do girl, but it sure don’t look hard.’ 

‘Tell me that when you’re in my place.’ I smile back, remembering that I didn’t tell him what I did for a living on Wednesday night.

‘That reminds me,’ I say. ‘You going back to Eric’s bar on Wednesday?’ 

Conner nods, his eyes darting to the left and at the cars piling up. ‘Yeah, I usually go every second night. Anyway, you got to get moving, I got a nice pile up here.’ 

‘Alright,’ I said, already shifting gears. 

‘I’m going to trust you on that glass of champagne, Ava.’ He says, patting the roof of my car as he moves away. 

‘Good night, Conner.’ I call as I pull away. 

He smiles and waves, making me feel strangely warm on the inside. 

                                                                                           ***

Short, I know. I sat up last night and wrote it in 45 mins because I felt like I should at least try and keep to my shifty schedule. I'll try and update every Friday - more for my peace of mind I think. 

I'm hoping to give you bits and pieces of Ava's life in the introduction and then group it together later on. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

For the record: earbashing is an Australian slang word for being scolded or yelled at really loudly causing you to have sore ears or 'angry words spoken to someone who has done something wrong.' (Cambridge On line Dictionary)